Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much snow has everyone got then?

Punto Lover
    was playing around in the snow and someone parked a car in a very silly place (still my own fault) but it was on a bend so as i came round sideways just slide into it lol done no damage to they car just put a nice crack in my bumpstrip

oh well we all learn from mistakes lol

Punto Sports Club Member cinquepunto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    was playing around in the snow and someone parked a car in a very silly place (still my own fault) but it was on a bend so as i came round sideways just slide into it lol done no damage to they car just put a nice crack in my bumpstrip

oh well we all learn from mistakes lol
    lol - guy I know through work was "playing" in the snow last friday... shooting down some backroads sideways... few near misses...

EDIT - it was in an M3 CSL...
    CinquePunto - Five Point Photography
    Like a bulldog eating mayonnaise!...

Had a few inchs, keeps topping itself up but not had anything mega deep.

Punto Enthusiast
    You folks in the UK use studder tyres?

Punto Enthusiast
    Had 3 to 4" last Thurs eve inc a thunder storm at the same time very wierd the missus nearly crashed her car and the Punto has remained under a car sheet did not fancy taking the chance on driving in these conditions .All wet and nasty now bring on the summer is all i can say

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by K4CE View Post
    You folks in the UK use studder tyres?
    You're Icelandic, no? Or perhaps Finnish? No we almost never need to use studded tyres or chains as the conditions are so infrequent and short-lived as not to need to go to that expense. I do have chains and have for many years, but haven't needed to use them in anger, despite living in Italy and driving into the Alps to ski, every other weekend. Of course, I'm not speaking for the Scottish contingent, as I know they can have much more severe weather than we do "South of the Border", at times.

Punto Enthusiast
    Yup, I'm from Finland. Studded tyres are pretty much a no brainer for us, for obvious reasons. Non-studded winter tyres (friction tyres) are becoming more and more common thanks to improved technology and climate change, more of the latter I presume

As for chains - only heavy machinery use them, like the ones used in forests to move timber etc. Perhaps folks up in Lapland (Northern Finland) use them more in road vehicles too. But it's still very rare to hook your car up with a set of chains.

In the military we used them alot, but that's another thing alltogether.

I live in Southern Finland and the winters here are usually incomparable to those say in Eastern or Northern Finland. At the moment we do have quite a bit of snow but it doesn't last.

Right now I have a set of really shitty studded tyres, Yokohamas I believe they are. This morning whilst driving to work I was sliding all over the place! And they wonder why so many a good racing driver is from here...

Punto Enthusiast
    Superman , i must say you can take some kick ass pictures, what camera do you use?

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by K4CE View Post
    I live in Southern Finland and the winters here are usually incomparable to those say in Eastern or Northern Finland. At the moment we do have quite a bit of snow but it doesn't last.

Right now I have a set of really shitty studded tyres, Yokohamas I believe they are. This morning whilst driving to work I was sliding all over the place! And they wonder why so many a good racing driver is from here...
    OK, I thought I recognised the name as being Finnish, after I'd asked if you were of Icelandic origin.

Yeah, I can sympathise with needing studded tyres where you are... a whole different environment and often used for cold-weather testing of new models by the car manufacturers, I believe. Then there's the Rally of the Thousand Lakes, too. I can't say that I'd want to take part in that one. Just keeping a road car in it's proper place in those conditions is taxing enough for me.

I can remember sliding about going up and down the Alps in winter time with Summer/Performance tyres on, and the chains in the boot, and having to remember to not use the torque too much as their grip was vastly reduced. No braking except by engine, everything nice and smooth and gentle. Still doesn't keep you out of danger though, as there's always someone who's not too experienced who'll cause you to have to take some evasive action or do some uncomfortably severe braking.

Studs and Performance tyres, I suppose that's the best of both worlds for a mixture of tarmac and icy conditions, although I'm only surmising here. How do you find the noise and/or vibration from using studs on tarmac to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsta View Post
    Superman , i must say you can take some kick ass pictures, what camera do you use?
    A Polaroid.
    Punto Gt no more!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast