Thread: Brakes Help Needed!

Punto Enthusiast

Brakes Help Needed!

Hello everyone

I have a problem with my brakes and need some help

Before i start, I am a qualified car mechanic/MOT tester so I should know what im doing but this has got me stumped - any help or suggestions are much appreciated and worth a try as i need the car working else its going to get broken - at the point where i have lost patience with it!

It all started about 2 weeks ago - The car needed a front passneger side flexi brake hose as it had a small split in it - having moved house recently i didnt have time to spend on teh car, but i had the part at work and finished early so decided to fit it. Unfortunately the metal brake pipe was siezed to the connector and as i un did it, the metal brake pipe snapped - no worries, got all the brake pipe making equipment at work so put another brake pipe on aswell, which luckily run up to the ABS pump just inside the engine bay.

I put a block into the ABS pump to make sure minimal air would get into the system knowing that ABS pumps are a bit more difficult to bleed. Fitted it all back together with the new flexi and metal pipe, bled it - spongey pedal

tried bleeding it again with the engine running, bit of air came out, so went all round the system - pedal worse - ****!

drove it home carefully - altho the pedal was crap, when i put it on the brake rollers, the braking was even on all 4 wheels - so i figured more bleeding required, which i did several times and the pedal got worse.

put a brand new fiat main dealer master cylinder on it and i have bled it round 7 times - the pedal is just as **** as before i put the master on it! bled it from the calipers all round, the 4 pipes on the ABS pump, the master cyliner pipes - running out of ideas!!

any ideas anyone? or does anyone know of any problems with punto GT turbo braking systems?

cheers

mad4it
    ive had same problem on cars at work but not normally fiat but pugs i found doing a preasure bleed works on pugs 9 out of 10 times
    pumping the pedle didnt help at all and also make sure rear brakes are adjusted up properly too
    also a mechanic

Doing them in the correct order? Ive heard that this makes quite a difference.
    Punto Gt no more!

Punto know it all
    i had this problem. after id changed the flex & line. bleed it all still the same.
    did this a few times.
    laeft it a few days as i was stump.
    checked again & the flex on the other side had a pin prick hole in as well that was hardly leaking

Punto Enthusiast
    cheers for the replies chaps....

ITS FIXED!!! at last!

i didnt bleed them in the right order i dont think in response to one of the replies. Also the rear brakes are calipers so no adjustment required.

i managed to drive it carefully to work today - spent the day thinking about the problem with a fresh mind an d2 of my mates at work throwing ideas around - didnt come to much, other than pressure and vacuum bleeding the entire system. So after work I clamped the flexi hose that i had recently fitted, just as a starting point to see if the pedal got better. BINGO it completely took out all the spongeyness from the pedal. I tried it on other flexis and it was just as spongey. That narrowed it down to air in the caliper - my front pads are quite worn, so i took the caliper off, undid the bleed nipple, pushed the piston back into the caliper and there was a lot of air that came out. So me and 2 colleagues held the piston in the caliper, one operated the bleed nipple, and the other the brake pedal - hey presto - the air was trapped in the passenger front brake caliper!

cant tell you how chuffed i am! bit gutted about spending £105 on a new master cylinder but hey its got a brand new O.E fiat one on it so not too terrible!

cheers for replies fellas - much appreciated! - so next tie one of you gets stuck, make sure your pistons are too far out when bleeding!!