Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sky broadband

Punto Enthusiast

Sky broadband

Has anyone got it or used it, and what are your opinions of it.

joey_turbo
    I'm thinking of getting it. They are doing a free wireless router with it at the mo.

1/4 mile at a time
    i havent got it yet as its going to be a pain in the ass cancelling my current, then waiting and gettin the sky broadband.

it had a few teething problems but havent had any complaints for a while.

as long as you are a sky TV customer and got a BT land line you are elligeable.

there are 3 different speeds and download limits the cheapest whicvh is free per month and a setup fee of £40 to the top one which is free initial setup and wireless router and £10 a month.

joey_turbo
    You work for them dont you T?
    So you can only get the wireless router on the top package?
    I was reading about it the other day in the Sky magazine, Jan edition, i'm sure it didn't mention you had to have a BT landline. I even read the small print.

Punto Enthusiast
    Ive had it now a couple of months went for the max option.First month was shite couldnt get on a load of sites and disconnecting all the time but they have sorted it all out and would fully recomend them now

Mediapixel Ltd
    get be 24 mb broadband ! only 24 quid

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Midland Events Organiser
    were with sky now,no probs,highly recommended.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    whats the p2p download speeds like

Punto Lover
    Post from another site if your intrested:

Hi

Is anyone here on sky broadband, I knew it was to good to be true........ Upto 16mb broadband for £10 per month.

It's was installed on the 16th of december, and it keeps dropping the connection. They have told me it's the router at first, and an engineer would be out to replace it at the same time they were changing my sky+ box. (quality gear) The engineer turned up with a new sky+ box but no router, he told me that they don't touch them once they've installed it.. Mad So then i re-connected it and it was working. Very Happy I then had a call from sky asking how my broadband was, so i told them what had happend and they said ok let's see how that goes. Later that day i stopped working again.

So the next day i phone them up to tell them, i still need a new router sent out. And because they had phoned me and ask is it working, they had cancelled my new router Mad I was then told i would have to wait another 5-10 Working days for a new one.....

So i phone them again to tell them it's not working, but this time they are telling me it my line that is at fault and they are not going to send me a new router Mad Mad They are going to get the line checked out, which will take 2-3 days... so i'll have to put up with the dropped connections (very annoying as my wife works from home) Then last wednesday they put me through to their top level of tech support, who can monitor the line. (scray as they can tell how much traffic is going through the line) Embarassed He's telling me that my phone line can't handle the 16mb broadband, so he slows it down to 10mb (which is ok as it still faster than my ntl line) and it works for about 25mins. Then back to dropping the connection again and again and again ........He told me to monitor it for a day or so, then ring back if i had any more trouble

Today i phoned them and the guy who answered the call, said how long is the extention cabel for the phone line. I replied about 15-20 meters, then told me that was the problem. The cabel is to long and that is why my connection is dropping. So i asked why did the sky engineer who installed it didn't know this. He told me maybe he didn't know.. This pissed me off, He told me that the phone line can't be more than 15 feet long or it won't work. So i told him i would move the router to my sky+ phone line, then he really pissed me off by telling me that sky+ works differently from the broadband, I was like i know that all i'm gonna do is put it on to the shorter phone line and use my old ether net cable from my ntl line. So i hung up and move it all into another room, and guess what it worked....

I thought great problem solved, half hour later it was dead again. So on the phone again, this time the guy that took my call was useless, couldn't even understand my phone number when i gave it to him, or my post code. He was trying to get me to do all the things i had done before again, then he said he would raise a ticket for someone to call me back in 3-5 working days. I was like no just put me through to your top level tech guys. And this time they dropped my speed again down to 8mb and they watched it again, they told me there was no error coming up. And this would solve the problem. So i carried on using it, and again it has died.......... Mad Mad

So if anyone is still reading this and you have sky, can you please let me know if you've had the same problems (or is it just me).

I've still got my 4Mb Ntl line until the 18th of this month, glad i didn't cancel it before i had sky put in. (but it cost me £25 per month for that line) I might phone ntl up and see what deal they can do to get me back, maybe their 10Mb for a £10

Mediapixel Ltd
    on all my broadband lines the cable is more than 15 feet, some are about 10 meters plus and its not problem atall ! even on my aol connection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast