Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey! im new.....punto gt3

Welcome mate.

Replacing your petrol tank is an easy job. Basically you have 4 bolts to undo, remove the jubilee holding the filler neck to the tank and remove the 3 lines. Job done.

Your GT pump will fit fine in the plastic tank. The only difference is the GT tank uses a plate with nuts to keep the pump down, and the plastic tanks have a ring that screws down to secure it instead.

Make sure you get the exhaust heat shields when picking up your new tank which are attached to the passenger side bracket.

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more!
    Quote Originally Posted by PuntoBaz.NE
    Your GT pump will fit fine in the plastic tank. The only difference is the GT tank uses a plate with nuts to keep the pump down, and the plastic tanks have a ring that screws down to secure it instead.
    That is my only quibble with a plastic tank- that ring to keep the pump down is a f ucking nightmare and mine is forever leaking.

Leaking? Fuel shouldnt get that high in the tank Cat. There is a rubber ring that goes around the fuel pump carrier, are you sure this is on? That creates the air tight seal required.

Yeah. I filled up with petrol, not over filled and parked up and fuel was dripping under the car - i thought it was the tank, but i took back seats up and it was leaking around the pump and was all over the bloody back seats and was then running down the outside of the tank.

I checked Haynes and it suggests everytime Pump is removed it is a good idea to get a new rubber ring, so im gonna try that.

Its just wierd how petrol pisses out round the pump and then the fuel line splits - prob coincendence(sp), but did make me think.

swage_punto_gt

Exclamation

Hi thanks for all the info thats great!!!! take it i get one of those rings from fiat then?
    I will put pics on soon i will get it sorted first though! the tank is off a 5 door any difference.

You should get the plastic ring with the tank mate.

swage_punto_gt
    Quote Originally Posted by PuntoBaz.NE
    You should get the plastic ring with the tank mate.
    do you know if it makes any difference being 5 door mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    Yeah. I filled up with petrol, not over filled and parked up and fuel was dripping under the car - i thought it was the tank, but i took back seats up and it was leaking around the pump and was all over the bloody back seats and was then running down the outside of the tank.

I checked Haynes and it suggests everytime Pump is removed it is a good idea to get a new rubber ring, so im gonna try that.

Its just wierd how petrol pisses out round the pump and then the fuel line splits - prob coincendence(sp), but did make me think.
    Have you checked the overflow pipe Cat?

It attatches towards the passenger side of the tank from the pump, about an inch away from the pump. Its held on with a jubilee. If you have the screw done up properly it shouldnt leak.

As for a plastic tank, itll all fit fine just need to use the screw fit top as a pose to the screw one on a gt.
    Punto Gt no more!

Ah wicked, thanks.
    Do i find it outside the car from looking underneath?

Banned Trader
    its really hard 2 c, ull need a torch - think u mite have 2 drop the tank down cant remember..

TOM?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12