Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everything seems to be Turbo

Might well be doing, I have fallen out of love with the big H since they created that abomination called the FN2...

The FD2 (JDM saloon) got a 240hp motor though, utilising the same engine - that was quite special. Though in this day and age, 240hp is only a fringe contender to the likes of the RS with 300. It's about time they started doing something with F/I. Honda should just keep it real and start knocking them out with 7/8psi supercharged engines, that's more than enough to keep up with the competition!!
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Superchargers are too expensive and complicated though and Honda is just a budget brand at the end of the day.

Turbos can and do make up for mechanical inefficiency, but alot of cars are developed to be turbo'd. YB, C20LET, ZLET, 4G63, and they're just the small ones... The type R engines arn't making up for inefficiency though, they're designed to reduce it and as a result everything involved costs more. I bet Honda don't make nearly as much profit on cars with K20s etc in as they do more subdued motors. Great product non the less.

JRSC's are ~£3k supplied and fitted these days. I'm not saying Honda should use one of those, but if you imagine them bulk buying superchargers and fitting at the factory, the cost to switch from N/A to F/I is no longer that great. The problem of course is emissions, it's not as easy as I'm making out, they'd have to redesign the whole engine to fit in with current strict emissions legislations. Friggin' government's ruining the UK car market atm
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Punto know it all
    From what I gather, the way the emissions tests are carried out means it's much easier for a turbo (and auto with many gears for that matter) to pass?

Multi gear autos are to improve tractability and response.

Lots of cog options for every eventuality.

Superchargers are more expensive and complicated than turbo setups, and seeing as so many companys are now using turbos that isnt going to change. Superchargers as a technology to be implimented are probably lagging behind turbo technology now, no pun intended...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12