Thread: Dials

Dials

Right iv been a bit of a bellend
    i recently changed my dials from standard looking to white sporty looking ones but had to take off the needals off like the instructions sed so i put then back on wer they came off from and its all reading wrong .

So my theory is to get another set of dials and plug them in and see what readings i get and take a pick then plug my white ones in with the needals off and start her up and after a min push the needals back on wer they should be pointing to according to the picks from the 2nd dash that i took.

will my theory work?? any ideas

Punto Enthusiast
    Just put all the needles on to zero so they rest on the pins and move freely or have i missed something.

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Just put all the needles on to zero so they rest on the pins and move freely or have i missed something.
    The stop pins aren't actually at the zero mark, usually. You'd have to gently lever the needles over the stop pin in each case, for one thing. Some gauges used to have spring-loaded pins in the past, but I don't think the Fiat ones are.

Punto Enthusiast
    Surely the only one that it would matter if it was slightly out would be the speedo and seen as though that rests on the pin then wouldn't that be the correct.

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    I'm not an expert but, that's not really true. The speedo. and tacho. definitely, and the others quite probably, are sprung-loaded back onto the pin stops and would "rest" farther back by quite a bit, for a zero indication, in a powered-up condition. I know I wouldn't like to trust to water temp. and oil pressure gauges that had been setup that way, either. The fuel gauges (senders, strictly speaking) can be notoriously inaccurate but, I'd prefer one that was pretty accurate towards the bottom end of the scale, myself.

Punto know it all
    If you want a spare set of Standard dials - I have a perfect set for £20 delivered showing 79K. Let me know if your interested.

trial and error, i had the cheap set off ebay for £5 and had to remove needles. The speedo and rev were easy to put back on but before i new it i had a full tank of fuel instead of less then a quater. If you have the same dials as me you will need to cut them so you can see them at nights, and a whole to see the petrol light. But in theory another set of dials should work.

im going to have a go at trying my idea as i can get a set of dials for scrappers for £10 and take picks of eatch dial and what position they are at wen turned on and running and then plug mine back in with the needals off and turn it back on and put the needals back on inplace wer they should be pointing to so fingers crossed it works =)