Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notebooks.

Punto Lover
    I won't be able to insert a disc as there's no cd-drive, what's the case will it be able to read a USB stick if i burn an image/iso file of my XP disc to it or will it just recognise an external cd-drive?

Also will it make the Netbook run any slower having two Operating Systems on the Hard disk as im thinking of keeping linux on one partition and XP on the other?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_thunder89 View Post
    wrong, you can install an operating system one one partition and another on a different partition... paragon patition manager is the best imo,its what i used and cant fault it
    yeah but if u use partition magic when an os is installed it will always ask you to format the drive because your splitting it in half.
    I wouldnt advise doing it anyway unless you really wanted linux on there.

Anyway some webbooks have cdroms you could always buy an external one. Or just take the hdd out and put it into another computer and install it from that.

Ive never used a usb to install an os but i guess its possiable.

Punto Lover
    got it tonight managed to install xp pro via usb flash stick, will be upgrading the ram soon although the most it can take is 1.5gb.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    I won't be able to insert a disc as there's no cd-drive, what's the case will it be able to read a USB stick if i burn an image/iso file of my XP disc to it or will it just recognise an external cd-drive?

Also will it make the Netbook run any slower having two Operating Systems on the Hard disk as im thinking of keeping linux on one partition and XP on the other?
    Nope doesnt slow it down at all, and is perfectly safe & easily manageable despite what people on here say

Punto Lover
    lol i removed linux all together had it on for 10minutes and hated it.

To help anybody who's thinking about one, it does boot from an external cd drive, i happened to plug in the wrong ac adapter for mine and ****ed the drive so had to boot the windows files from a Flash drive.

Punto Enthusiast
    I would also add for anyone thinking about doing this, if you have one with a solid state hard drive that putting windows xp will make it access the drive a lot more than linux does which in turn makes it a bit slower and over a longer period of time reduces the life of the drive.

As i say just a heads up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12