Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Nissan vs Honda masterdebation

Punto Sports Club Member xploitGT's Avatar
    I went out in a 300bhp SC Type R (ex time attack iirc) on Spa in Belguim.

It didnt feel that fast tbh but it handled great.
    XploitGT

oh right, sounds awsome, never been in a sc type r! sounds the bollocks! just heard of a lot of type r owners that there aint no point in turboing them, sc is much better!

My mate has a ep3 the only thing i hate about em is where the gear stick is, the same as a picasso!

That's a quick car with 250hp. A SEB4 can't even match that for straight line pace Just look how it pulls over 100mph

With regards to turbo'ing and supercharging. The cheap and easy method is to SC. It also maintains the instant throttle N/A characteristics, and linear power increase of a standard engine. When mapped correctly, the VTEC 'kick' is much less noticeable, as it gets smoothed out. If you're doing the job properly though, you just buy VTEC Killer cams that are specifically designed to be used with forced induction applications. On average, you gain between 20/30hp by doing this!! See, standard cams are for N/A induction, so they have quite a high valve overlap - this is bad on a F/I engine, as boost literally escapes through your exhaust as it's been forced in and the valve is still open due to the overlap.

Turbocharging is a bit more complicated, but again, you can get cams that eliminate the VTEC, so you just get a high revving engine - turbo's start at T34 size, and are generally pulling strong from 3000rpm, full boost at 3.5k, will rev to 8500-9500 depending on the valve springs you decide to use, standard are good for 8700.

Saying that with Honda you get 2 choices, VTEC fwd, and VTEC fwd is pretty simple - with Nissan you get Turbo rwd or Turbo 4wd. Both are as boring as each other if you see it that way. I will say however, modified for modified, with a 1.8 B series engine, you can see up to 1000hp (0.55hp/cc). RB26 generally run at about 1100hp these days (0.42hp/cc). I've done the maths for you, the Honda has more power per cubic centimetre D'oh!

PS - gear lever positioning in the EP3 is for quick and easy gear changes. It's suprising, I was the same, you look at it and think "that's weird", but when you're driving, it's actually a very natural position. Think about it, when you take your left hand off the steering wheel (if you're holding it correctly) to change gear, you're hand actually passes the place where the EP3 lever is, on the way down to the centre console. Go try it if you don't believe me.
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

The gear stick on the EP3 reminds me of my old Sprinter van.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910