Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TV..

New TV..

A new TV has been on my mind for quite a while now and I've narrowed it down a little but also interested if any of your guys have the following or can offer a credible alternative. Me and her indoors live other side of the city to my mates and family and likewise for her, most evenings im in 4-5hours before her and get a hours and hours to play games and watch movies, so a good TV has become a high priority for me right now. Currently struggling by with a Panasonic TH-32LXsomething-or-other.

Im not interested in Sony, Toshiba, JVC, Loewe for a number of reasons, manly cost, value for money or manufacture.

Im primarily interested in Panasonic and LG, but Samsung, Philips and Sharp could be contenders.

Im looking for well rated, ~50inch (46" - 55"), 3D. Budget of £1200 give or take.

Smart TV is not a prerequisite, neither is the TV being LED backlit.

- Of Particular interest to me is the Panasonic P46 or P50GT30B. A very highly rated TV, VERY nice to look at and full of features and highly specced, new generation plasma.

- LG 47 or 55LW550T. Also highly rated, award winning apparently (not seen where or what for) Passive 3D and smartly priced, LED so the picture at face value looks good!

My issue is, the designer at work has a 42inch LG 450T and raves about the Passive 3D and suggests to me that the active 3D on the Panasonic may send me wappy after a short period. He has said all this after I just about had my heart set on the Panasonic... Cost of the glasses isnt a factor as we do Panasonic 3D glasses at work but if they're a bastard to put up with then Id rather avoid! Tried a few passive 3D LG screens in stores and it looks good but admitedly not as good as active setups and it washs out towards the edges :s

Does anybody have an LG passive setup or a new generation Panasonic Plasma screen? Or able to offer a like for like alternative?
    Last edited by Superman; 12th December 2011 at 13:16.

Punto Lover
    I wouldn't recommend 3D right now. I'd personally wait a year or two if you want to go down that route.

It also looks like you've done all the research you can do.

The Samsung d7000 is a very good TV the 8000 series has the micro dimming feature which makes the 3d image look less ghost like.

I only suggest Samsung cause my Dad sells them (had no negative comments) and we've had one in the lounge every year and it looks pretty impressive.

Also try a Euronics centre for a better deal.

Punto know it all
    having a samsung and LG, i would say the build quality of the LG is far better than the samsung, the menus of the samsung are almost identical to the ones on a goodmans/bush/alba and look to have all come from the same factory originally using the same internal panels.

I also briefly had a sharp quatron which was miles better quality than the others, problem for me is that the sharp was faulty out of the box 3 times (vga input not working) so i eventually gave up and got the samsung, in hindsight i wish i had just been patient and waited until i got a sharp one that had no problems, surely it ws just a faulty batch when i ordered mine, and every time i look at the samsung now i feel gutted that it isnt the sharp one sitting in my living room.

Punto Lover
    Majority of screens come out of the LG factory

LG indeed make alot of panals but far from the majority.

A company in Turkey make Bush/Goodmans as well as all the supermarket brands. The build on samsungs is what im worried about, I have had numerous Samsung products over the years, my laptop: the hardware is bullet proof! Point and shoot camera, complete waste of money...

We manufacture Panasonics OEM mounts and thus have had all theire TVs from the last 4years come through the factory, needless to say they're of a very high quality, probably only behind Sony and Loewe in terms of quality, but also price as a result. Unfortunately even trade pricing from Panasonic UK direct is only about what you can scrape on Amazon anyway :-(

I would be interested in the LG 980T, simply for the dual screen gaming but its out of my price range and will be for a long time!

With regards to 3D, this is the dilema, im not going to wait another few years before taking the plunge, at the moment the technology is abit crude, but works and its only going to be for the odd Blu Ray and probably gaming, which ****s me up after an hour or two anyway! Active or Passive, active or passive... thats the problem! The reason for going for the GT30 is that its meant to wash-out free...

Just done a job for a company called Tridelity from Germany, they're LFD's are glass-er-less 3D, pretty amazing, pricey though

I'll wait to see if anyone on here has either of my two front runners for some more opinion...

Chet: What kin dof pricing can your Old Man do for a 47 and 55" LW550T? Or even the 450T??

Punto know it all
    well iv got a samsung tv and iv only had one fault with it and even then they came out the next day and fixed it free of charge and the tv was out of warrenty too but they still fixed it

when i was looking for a tv at the time i was told lg are a budget tv company

what ever tv you get now tho it will be half price in 6 months anyway

Having a fault is no good to me Craig, thats the problem with Samsung...

Ive been to John Lewis and had a go on the 47" LG and a 50" Panasonic (though it was the VT30) side by side, and I have to admit the picture, colour and 3D are better at face value on the LG.

SKY TV customers get up to £200 off until Xmas eve on LG Cinema 3D TVs, I would get £100 offa 450 or 550T so thats as low as £680...

Punto Lover
    had my LG for 1.5years now (albeit 37"), and i cant fault it one bit!

never had a problem, looks smart too!

id have an LG again definatly, samsung was my other option, but im glad i stuck with LG.

Welsh Events Organiser
    Ive had my 1080P 37" LG for over 2.5 years. Its on almost all the time, either for TV, Playstation or as a PC display and never a single fault. Would definately recommend one

Yep im on a 37" LG and love it on HI DEF!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast