Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gritting the motorway

Punto know it all
    Nobody likes a gritting

I had a similar situation in my old golf a few years back. perfect black paint, pretty much splattered in stones in the course of a few seconds.

I'm assuming you could try writing to the Highways Agency?

I think that light being on bollocks is just that, bollocks.

Regardless if they are doing their job or not, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with damaging anything. I know I wouldn't be allowed to in my job so why should they? I'm sure they have insurance for this kind of thing.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

This thread is useless without pics

i work on gritters everyday and maintain the gritters and im afraid you cant do anything what so ever mate the amount of people that come in to our work and complain is amazeing sorry to hear about it but when they get told yo grit they have to and they do have to have beacons on and a red spread light on the back o/s i should know ha but illsay again there is not anything anyone can do all i can say is keep clear and ya distance from them also when they are fitted with ploughs they need to have a passenger with them to keep an eye on the n/s of the plough, they are insured but if ya get hit you get hit its the way it goes would you rather put the car in a ditch or in the centeral reservation or have a few chips sorry to keep on and i ent being funny im just giveing advice.

one other thing if you drove down a road at nite and it had not been gritted and you crashed you can claim if the gritters had not gone out thats why they grit early to protect themselves!!!!! just thought id share that with ya

It not about that mate. The M1 is one of the busiest point to point roads in the UK, if the not the busiest, its rammed from London to Leeds from 7am-8 or 9pm and unless 'the day after tomorrow' happens will never freeze until its long past the evening rush hour, my cars ****ed and i bet hundreds, maybe thousands are as a result.

I had no where to go. I cant put on the brakes and refuse to pass it i had 3 lanes up my arse If i was near a junction id of done my best to hang back and pulled off the road as i wasnt in any rush, but i was trapped and had no options, so in no way is it my fault.

When they grit at the usual time, you have the option to not drive your car etc etc, no personal dig Colin, but its all abit **** really

Hans ill get some pics when im back from work, maybe its not as bad as when i first checked, but we'll see.

yeah i understand mate no worries our fleet usually go out at 6pm or 7pm and then early like 2m or 3am but the highway agency grit when they want its strage i know they are the ones who have the motorway contract.

Welsh Events Organiser
    Thought i'd bring this back up, just did a 370 mile round trip in the GT, on the way back, near portsmouth, got pelted by a gritter. havnt seen the full extent of the damage yet but the intercooler is full of stones and bent fins. really pissed off considering there wasn't a single blemish on it. Almost got had a second time, but for some reason the grit stopped coming out so i floored it to get past asap.

b@$t@rd things!

lol best thign to do is hold back as far as possible i pulled off when i had a grritter in front of me went and had a coffee fu** getting pelted with stones i also got told the salt would shank the underneath of the car :S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast