Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just read this review on the GT

Just read this review on the GT

Read this here... http://www.reviewcentre.com/review237184.html

Good Points

The Fiat Punto GT has good road manners, levels of comfort and road holding "only if left on the standard suspension set up, and now lowered". It is spacious inside and I can honestly say I have had no trouble with my engine (although the cam is worn and the engine is due for a rebuild). It is fast and a nice looking car in my eyes. It has good levels of potential if tuned correctly.. The series 3 gt turbo is the best of the bunch from 97-99. It has the best trim, best engine and has the best handling due to having a thicker role bar.
    Bad Points

Buying a car of this type and age you should be prepared to spend thousands on it unless the following components have been replaced. They will either be on the last legs or have failed already. Most of these cars have been clocked even if the MOT's look in order if the car shows low mileage. People have 2 sets of clocks they swap and change periodical to keep the mileage down. Lots may have been in collisions also.

These are the major parts I have had to replace on this car
    starter motor
    wheel bearings x4
    track rod ends x2
    rear cross member bushes x4
    petrol tank (rots and can leak)
    engine mounts x3
    break discs x4
    rear radius arm bushes
    front arm bushes
    anti-rollbar (only comes as a bar with bushes)
    power steering pump pipe (cracks with heat over time and splits)
    petrol filler cap (old barrel lock can be reused)

weak build flimsy body panels... not worth the money to put it right gt makes a bad buy unless it has been practically rebuilt I have the bills to prove it too.
    General Comments

I have had my Punto gt for over 5 years. Since that time I have learnt many things through trial and error.

These are the modifications I have learned should not be done on this car. I hope this helps some

The car does not like atmospheric dump valves!!! It upsets the balance and smooth running of the engine. If using an atmos valve poor idling cutting out and loss of boost can be experienced. no true performance car has them!! I have binned my forge atmos in favour of a superior recirc type.

The car does not like fancy spark plugs or leads, stick to OE leads and NGK plugs. If using other types, the electrical properties of the ignition system are changed, and poor running car result. Pops and misfires and incomplete combustion and rich running can occur..

The car should not be lowered. If it is lowered.....

The ride quality becomes harsh, and will hammer hell out of the car and all the other components which will experience increase ware. The car will become too low to the ground, and will hit the floor quite often over bumps, and speed humps are a nightmare. The tyres will not be in full contact with the ground and will be set at an angle like this / ... Instead of how they should be like this | | The geometry of the car will not be as it should, everything will be out of sync...The car will never track correctly. The tyres will ware on the inside edges badly.. It will not handle or break as good as the stock suspension. The car will become very skittish on the road. You will no longer be steering the car, the road surface will be steering you, and you will get constant negative feedback through the steering wheel. It will have no feeling of control or inspire confidence to the driver and become highly unpredictable. I recommend this car is kept on the original Monroe suspension, as it is designed and intended to be, this will offer the best handling on this car. The original suspension is extremely good and should not be changed. If you do you will regret it, honest.. The lower you go the worse it gets I took my car to within maybe 4" of the road with a G-Max kit. Maybe it would not be so bad if it was a slight drop. But the standard car handled so well before it is unnecessary, lowering can only have a negative effect due to the geometry changes... The only thing lowered suspension is good for is the looks and use on flat smooth surface race tracks. Not on the road.. Road holding can be increased with a slightly bigger wheel and a wider tyre. Some power flex arm bushes maybe a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I can honestly say I have had no trouble with my engine (although the cam is worn and the engine is due for a rebuild).
    Hmmmm, 'I have had no trouble with my engine' and 'engine is due for a rebuild'..... doesn't really look right in the same sentance does it?

I agree with alot of what he said tbh. I could've saved him the hassle of writing chapter and verse and shortened it to:

Good Points:
    Looks good, and goes well in a straight line.

Bad Points:
    Too many to list..
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Punto Enthusiast
    I remember this guy, he used to post on here under the username gtgt or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Towelie
    I remember this guy, he used to post on here under the username gtgt or something like that.
    Lol it does read like one of his reviews What a tool.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Punto know it all
    Clean the afm with a rag and it will be ok

F1 front tyres are like "/ \" and not "| |" !

Just spends some money on a camber kit lol

Adi

And do what with the rears?
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Mine is very low on the rear and it's not bad at all.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Negative camber never hurt anyone, just wears your tyres out on the inside edge alot quicker. I suspect, like you guys, that this review was written by the God of all GT's (no, not Hans....) gtgt.

Yeah it is written by him definately, I saw it a few years ago.

AdamGT I think he was at one point as well.
    Punto Gt no more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast