Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Dog...

Project Dog...

Well a few weeks ago me and Ashy C went halves on this ere GT1 engined GT3 from Simon aka Boostboy as a repair and sell on jobby or as a backup break for spares to make our money back plus abit... No T+T, no documents, didnt run and had been passed around the north of England like a right old slag...

picking it up in Bradford

It then sat outside with the Xploit for a few days until i managed to clear some space to fit it in the garage. After scoping around the car checking it out abit more i dubbed it 'project dog' as it was looking abit of a mess to start with!

Well having my mum and sister pushing it around the street and getting it back in the garage facing inwards to work on me and Ben (ward) carried out a compression test and all were at least 1bar down and cylinder 1 was down by 2bar, so no good... The cambox was dry as dry toast so had to drop some oil in...

So the plan was to strip it down and scrap the shell as i didnt have an engine spare and it was lookign to cost what we paid for it to get it running, even then i dont think it would ever pass an MOT without spending a small fortune, been left to rot and suffer too long, only place it was going was the scrap yard in the sky!!!

I knew things were really bad when a STANDARD fit pumper was held in with just two self tappers instead of the easily used 6mm bolts, FFS!

Coolant was terrible! After id let it settle int he bucket it was like a sludgey sand in the bottom!

All rubber boost pipes were split to buggery, no wonder it had never ran nice when it had! Nothing had escaped the over spray either... David Blunkett must have sprayed it, what a **** job!

Later that evening the engine was out, no wires or pipes cut to cut courners on the off chance folks wanted any of the bits

green engine!

Set about stripping the engine bay down, to learn a few things so when it comes to having to change something ive got a better idea!

Also saved a few fittings and did some measuring for if i decide wether to ditch the ABS system and do my own braided lines.

Made a minor start on the engine, head was in good condition for age and milage, hopefully the pistons are ok and its just worn rings!

Next problem lol...

Id kind of rammed this GT with all the interior from my GT...

Turns out the fuel pump sender unit was wired directly into the sideligth circuit... WTF! About the worst bodge ive ever seen, northerners!

Can see here where its been bodged into, and melted the plugs :s

As it was, some prat had cut the gearstick down about as short as it'd go, only just useable... without the gearbox connected at other end lol

Dash gone, not looking forward to that when i get the spare dash out of this one flocked for mine!

That sound deadening weighs loads so cant wait to remove it from mine lol

likeness to a new skip...!

Turbo and exhaust manifold were both in cracking condition

So ****ing useless...!

So that was last thursday evenign till sunday evening and packed it away so my Dads car could live in the garage while i was up in Leeds...

So yesturday made a start by attempting to remove the suspension after the brakes... nearside top-mount bolt heads rounded stranding the strut on the wing...! Offside strut-hub bolts heads both rounded, great! So thought bollox, undid all the arm brackets and dropped the whole subframe off, which itself was only on finger tight :S

After having all the interior out, side skirts off the only thing left was the rear beam which was to be taken off just before been taken away, so started to take the engine to bits, plenty of crap was strained out the oil!

left the engine to bake in the sun, maybe the sun would fix it???

Me and Steve lifted it down the garage

At which point my pals Nick and James turned up, helped us coax the dog down the drive, wheel barrow it out onto the road to turn around and back up again, then Nick dived straight in to take the rear beam off.

The bloke from Podders turned up and lifted it up while i cut the handbrake cables...

And then my second flying punto was whisked away!

Rear beam

And there we are, going to a far better place!

Now despite it looking ok in the first few snaps, it was a real dog, its had a real crappy respray, nothign was removed not even the rear clusters, window rubbers etc, just masked up and there is over spray all over everything, even the underside was green!!! The whole body was covered in bubbles and like sandpaper, forget orange peel or whatever you call it this was like shingel. The floor pan is rotted to ****, surprised it hasnt dropped through already and most things under the bay were no good at all!!!

So good ****ing riddens, me and Ash have got the money back already i think and still got loads to sell!

As most will have hopefully noticed just about everything is up for grabs too... Peace!

Midland Events Organiser
    good work chief! What a state that car was in, and i only saw the engine bay!

Best get the brus ready for next weekend

Punto Sports Club Member xploitGT's Avatar
    does look like an old dog when you get close.

Good work mate.
    XploitGT

Punto know it all
    wrong fuel pump fitted a proper junkyard dog a gt pump has green paint
    Last edited by Pidster; 3rd March 2008 at 20:51.

Punto Sports Club Member
    A very worthwhile read. keep these kind of posts up!

Punto Enthusiast
    lets get something strate nothing on that car was my doing thats exactly how i got it just glad youve mate your money back dan wot a nightmare

Yeah i know Dude, didnt mean to imply it was you, everyone here knows you only had it a few weeks. Ive spoken to Wilky and its been round the houses. Proper rot box aswell as nothing else been right with it.

Why someone paid for a respray, and such a **** job on it i do not know!

Punto Enthusiast
    it was more than likley cleaner and all round tidier befor the respray

Banned
    good work lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast