Thread: Record of freeview?

Punto Enthusiast

Record of freeview?

can you record off freeview? i can get the normal one too five channels but when i try and record the others i get nothing. my freewiew is built in to my tv and goit a dvd record too. thanks

Punto Lover
    you have to buy a HD recorder that has freeview built in, highly recommended

My parents record off their freeview separate box with no problems.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Gt Cab
    can you record off freeview? i can get the normal one too five channels but when i try and record the others i get nothing. my freewiew is built in to my tv and goit a dvd record too. thanks
    sounds to me like your dvd recorder is only tuned in to those few channels, does it have its own tuner, is there an outside ariel running through the recorder.

if you want the freeview channels from the TV to record you will need to make sure you have a scart output from the TV going to the recorder, not only the other way around (like when you watch a dvd).

the scart socket from the TV must have a symbol with an arrow pointing out from the box, then the dvd should be set to av1 or similar depending on which scart input on the back you connect it to, this input should have a symbol of a box with an arrow going into it.

Punto know it all
    I have a Humax and can also download the recording onto PC

Punto Lover
    Thought about getting a dvd recorder would it work no problem if Freeview is built into the TV,yeah?

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by NodTheGreat
    Thought about getting a dvd recorder would it work no problem if Freeview is built into the TV,yeah?
    Some TV's do output what is on the screen via scart so if yours does that then you should be able to record but I would assume only the programme you are watching. I could be wrong though, I'm sure someone will be along to clear it up.

Punto Enthusiast
    You will only be able to record (built-in) freeview from the TV if the TV has a video out (which is not very common). However then you will be limited to only being able to record what you are watching... So you couldn't record something and watch a different channel.

You can side-step this by buying an additional cheap freeview box (preferably with two scart outs, one to the DVD recorder, one to the TV) for less than a tenner. That way you can still record from the freeview box and watch something else using the TVs built-in freeview.