Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: few questions about the punto sporting 1.6i

Punto Lover

few questions about the punto sporting 1.6i

Hello all,

Just new to the site and wondered if you would be able to help me with a few questions about the Punto sporting 1.6.

1. I have a P Reg Punto Sporting 1.6Mpi 8v and this guy who has been saying he'd waste my punto has a 1.2 16v and well was just wondering(i know theres been a few topics on this before)which would be quicker, my car has been lowered 55mm,has 15" alloys(quite chunky wheels not sure the exact size of them),performance exhaust but does not have an induction kit,as far as i know the engine is completely standard.

His mk1 T reg Punto Sporting 1.2 16v has 15" alloys,Induction kit,performance exhaust & lowered 35mm i think.

Which car should be quicker? As said in the other thread a Corsa 1.4 16v sport should be quicker than a punto 1.2 16v and well three of my mates have corsa sports with induction kits,alloys,lowered etc but my Sporting is really a lot quicker than them.Same with saxo VTRs ive raced a few VTRs up the A1 and easily beat them,just wondering if you would be able to tell me what would be quicker without saying its the driver that matters.

2. What BHP would my Sporting be running with a K & N induction kit on it im not sure what a 1.6i runs standard.

3. What sites offer engine mods for the 1.6i? I know its quite a rare model so the parts are not found easy.

Cheers for the help in advance!

Southern Events Organiser danmotty's Avatar
    in theory, and what most people will tell you is 1.2 16v are nippier sub 60mph and 1.6 8v have a higher top speed.

Punto Lover
    Assuming identical drivers the 16v would take it. Its 0-60 is marginally faster than the 8v.

The 1.6 sporting has 90bhp as standard so I would reckon you are running 89, maybe 88bhp at peak. No thats not a typo, K&N filters are rubbish and will lose you power in exchange for some noise. Take it off and find a standard airbox somewhere or buy a proper tested induction kit such as GSR.

Punto Lover
    ah ok, so basically it would beat me upto 60 but then he would be ****ed after that,just curious but what is the 16v maximum speed, ive had my punto 121mph and the dial doesnt seem to move after that(I am aware of the dials on some cars can sometimes be a few mph out though)

Punto Lover
    I wouldnt say he would be ****ed after 60!! If you both started from 60mph maybe, but if you were going from zero the 16v would probably win unless you're on a runway or something.

16v top speed is probably 105, 110? I've had indicated 115 in the old car. Indicated 120 probably comes out to 115 odd. So with 5mph in it at the top end don't expect to shank him!! But there won't particularly be many car lengths in it in the first place. I'd be interested to see the results at santa pod or a big runway, actually.

Punto Lover
    cheers for the information Owen, how does lowering the car affect the cars performance? or is there no difference? sorry about asking all the questions lol don't know many people that own puntos to talk about them.

Punto know it all
    It's a long argument on here.

Top end there is no contest IMO the 1.6 will hammer the 1.2 .

From personal experience the 1.6 is faster lower down that the 1.2 aswell.

I raced a 1.2 with performance exhaust, induction and chip and I was level with him as standard, so without all that I would of beat him.

Punto Lover
    Lowering will theoretically improve the cars cornering but that's not really true in real world examples unless you get a full coilover kit which will certainly cost you a few bob.

Punto know it all
    when it comes to this argument, people always say whatever they own is faster!

but from personal experence the 1.6 is faster all round, but less mpg!

Punto Lover
    Where can i buy a gsr induction kit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast