Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed Urgently

Help Needed Urgently

I have just bought a 95 gt and have a really bad smoke issues upon starting, cold or warm. It is not a problem when tootling along at say 40mph but as soon as sat a a junction smoke pours out of the exhaust. i would like anyone in my area whos free (chester) to come give me there honest opinion if thats possible?..........really need help wiv this please...........this is my car.........................
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/174016.htm

Valve stem seals

How's that for a f**kin quick answer - and I'm from Manchester.
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Southern Events Organiser
    does it idle ok??

fook me i couldnt even mek me brew!! haha. it idles slightly errracticly but nothing major. The valve stem seals?.................what be them then?..................(not technical minded ya see) oops!!

Southern Events Organiser
    you know what debo, that made me feel clever as thats what i had in mind!

Valve stem seals are in the cylinder head mate - and sometimes they become dislodged or split over time. This in turn means that droplets of oil can leak into the combustion chamber and then excape through the exhaust valves.. hence the smoke.

If you're not mechanically competant, it's best to take it to a garage. The seals themselves are quite cheap from FIAT.

Quote Originally Posted by P HUGE
    you know what debo, that made me feel clever as thats what i had in mind!
    Yeah yeah..
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

that would mek sense actually, no visible oil leak but if its drops i guess there wouldnt be!!.............thanks debo, any recommendations on who can do the work?................its hard to know who trust like

No probs mate.

I'd say my old man, but he has alot on at the moment and he's trying to wind down as it is. You're probably better asking someone nearer to Chester than me. My suggestion would be the obvious one, FIAT, but it's whether you can afford main stealer prices or not.

how much you reckon were lookin at then assuming its that?.............also is it safe to drive a short distance?

any1 fancy coming to check me car over 4 me n see what this bloody smoke is please?, chester area?
    Last edited by adgeypants; 20th June 2007 at 19:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Gearbox Abuser
    you forgot to mention this car has just had a full rebuild mate!

i said Valve stem oil seals, that explains the smoke on start up yes, but not the smoke on idle, the combustion from the cylinders is greater than the crank case pressure so how would oil get into the cylinders!

think about it.

mate compression test it and go from there, in the mean time you need a member to look at her and see if she has the T28 shes claimed to have, that in turn will help you work out if she has been rebuilt at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast