Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Evenin'!

My first post on here. I hope it's the right place. I'm definitely not a 'boy racer' 'cos at 58 I'm too old, and I'm not really into 'pimping my ride'. I just love Fiats, especially Punto's, and I'd like to drop in occasionally to get info, swap experiences etc.

My Fiat CV.

Started about 1981 with an already ancient s/h 127 Special, which had been hand painted, but was at the right price. I was just embarking on a degree course as a mature student. Had 2 small kids and 1 big mortgage, so it was all I could afford. Almost immediately it blew a head gasket. A few days later after a head skim and a lot of kitchen table port polishing etc, by yours truly it was a little flyer. Did loads of miles including three record breaking trips to Scotland before the diff finally exploded and threw the car sideways across the road. Happy days!

Next up. A 127 Super Five Speed. Another cheap car, but it got me around for a year or two,

Then! My first ever brand new car.. a white UNO 45 Fire. Kept it until it was falling off its wheels and the wife traded it in for a very nice s/h Mk 1 Punto ELX. I had been driving an very old VW Polo for a few years, but when it too blew yet another head gasket, I binned it and bought my first Punto, an N reg 75 SX.
    This gave me no trouble at all and was in super condition, but when the time was right, I traded it for a '51 MkII ELX 3 door. Another lovely car, but still trying to stay somewhere near the new car level, I traded it for a new 'dealer special' '04 3 door Active, with CD player, alloys and 16v engine. Although there was nothing wrong with this one either, I never really took to it, so ..

Last May, I sold my soul for a bright red Grande Punto 16v 'Sporting'.
    This is the prettiest car I've ever had and is still turning heads everywhere I go. It definitely drives and handles better than my previous Punto's. I don't get sea sick on corners now.
    Unfortunately, it has attracted all the usual new car troubles. 1. A parking scrape just in front of a wheel arch. 2. A ding on the roof that looks like someone has bounced half a brick off it. 3. A slight depression on the bonnet, almost certainly caused by the idiot kids across the street, who insist on kicking a rugby ball 24/7. They've been doing this for over two years. I've asked them nicely, pleaded, and threatened, but they just don't get it, until last night when.... 4, a s*****g great ding (6"x9") on the tailgate. This one has an estimated repair cost of £300. It was definitely caused by the idiot kids across the street, 'cos I saw 'em do it. They are currently grounded by their Mum. Serves 'em right. They will be paying for the repair. One of them has lost a holiday abroad as a result. I still don't care. Maybe they'll finally learn to respect other people's stuff.

So.. that's me, and that's where I'm up to so far. I've been thinking my next might be a Multijet. Then this 'Starjet' appears. Seems like a good idea, but no more power than I've already got. I'll have to think about it.. or maybe you'll give me some tips. Thanks for reading this.

127 Special

Welcome to the forum, nice to see another Grande owner.

I like the Sportings al lot and the red colour is very nice. Its good to see Fiat making nice looking cars for the modern market!

I hope your Grande luck improves!
    Punto Gt no more!

Mediapixel Ltd
    Welcome Colin, some interesting story , what colours ya grande?

I too have the Starjet Grande Sporting and im loving every minute of it. Yours will already be the Starjet motor, its just the marginally later ones like mine with 1 or 2 subtle changes have the little starjet badge in the grille etc.

Punto Sports Club Member xploitGT's Avatar
    welcome and have fun
    XploitGT

Well Chaps!,
    It's taken me the best part of 2 years to reply to the last post in this thread, but I have an excuse......
    I had a a rather nasty illness in Autumn 2007 which 'took me out' for about 3-4 months.

Next up, in Spring of 2008 I had a stroke, which paralysed a lot of my right side and stopped me driving for a short while, but apart from some residual numbness in my right arm and leg and a really messed up memory, I seem to have got away with it.

Then, my oldest daughter got married, causing a severe shock to my bank account.

Anyway, it was a birthday greeting by email from this site which made me get back in here. I'm impressed that you all still care about a '1 poster' after so long!

I got all the dents in the body of my 06 1.4 16v Sporting sorted out by the most excellent 'Dentmasters' of St Helens and my car has looked gorgeous and like new ever since.

Am I the only person who thinks that the Grande Punto, especially in 'Exotica Red' is the prettiest car on the planet? They all seem to be raving about the new Ford Fiesta, but, IMHO, it is an obvious rip off of the GP.

The only thing about my GP that I don't like is the slight lack of power in the 1.416v. (95 BHP) I said before that I'm no boy racer, (60 today!!!!) but I also don't like hanging about waiting for something to happen. I couldn't afford the 1.9 Multijet when I bought my 1.4, but I've just been talking to my dealer and it looks like a new T120 might be on the cards.

Seems to me from the specs that the T120 is in some ways more useful than the 1.9 Multi. Faster 0-60 fer a start. Any views?

Also, looking at the 'Configure your car' thingy on the Fiat website,I actually prefer the standard 17" alloys over the fancy new 200 quid extra ones. With red, you need lots of shiny ally.

127 Special. (Col)

Punto Lover
    your never too old to tune a car! my dads 50+, and regularly buys bits for his alfa! its just addictive!

T120 is essentially your engine but turbo. with a stupidly low insurance group for the power! only ever driven the 1.9jtd GP i cant comment on how the petrol one drives. mabye time for me to take a trip down to a Fiat Main Stealer, for a test drive.

glad to hear that your all mended, and hope youll stay and see how things have changed!

PSC sex offender no.1
    Glad to hear you're still with us and with Fiat!!!
    Of O was going for a Grande.....it'd HAVE to be red I'd settle for the metallic blue pretty easily though

Welcome back, it's in the right place now

welcome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast