Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A quick update, head gasket gone with pics

A quick update, head gasket gone with pics

After trying and failing to get the head off yesterday due to one of the head bolts rounding I borrowed a special socket from a mate, works wonders on any rounded nut!!!

While I wipped the rest of the head bolts off and got ready to lift it Dom was changing the wheels over on the 55 ready for its 16 hour drive tomorrow to Gairloch to pick up his new Coupe.

Manifold must have been leaking quite badly for a while, got a spare though so its ok.

Ah ha! The gaskets shot, the answer to my overheating problems is solved.

And it was that bolt that goes in at the bottom of that photo that rounded off, when I eventually got it out it was rusted and soating so theres been a small gap there.

GT's in a sorry state at the moment, although it only need a few tiny bits done before it goes for MOT.

Dom was finished, but the only problem was the only other steelie we had was yellow, due to overspray from some bits I sprayed ages ago, Dom wasnt bothered tho so on it went lol.

All done, we cleared away some tools to take with us tomorrow and headed out.

Heres some more pics of the gasket:

whats the head like baz?

im sure your dad is gonna be thrilled when he sees that pile of oil under it lol!

Punto Lover
    make sure u check inbetween the valves for cracks. theyre only small so clean it up well and av a real good look.

Bit of cillit bang and some kitchen towel will get that oil up a treat

Head seems to be in tip top condition. Only one small crack between 2 valves but apart from that should be fine.

Punto Lover
    You wanna give me the car back Baz - really miss the colour - of course you will have to fix it first

Nah mate, I was thinking while boosting my mates new coupe 20v turbo home last night, ive got unfinished business with the GT for the time being. Coupe is an amazing machine though, I totally under estimated them!
    Last edited by PuntoBaz.NE; 20th March 2007 at 12:54.

Punto Lover
    I feel a 2 litre conversion coming on...

Nah the shells done too many miles.

Heres some more photos

The head gasket:

Woops

Guess how long my GT's been off the road:

As well as sorting the engine, ive got a few mods to install including a new steering wheel to replace the old, probably going to get some coupe seats now too:

In the mean time ive got a new run around after the 55s tragically got burried in a big hole in scotland, shame

And heres a quick shot of the Coupe we went to scotland for:

Another quick update, photos to follow tomorrow hopefully.

Removed the rest of the bottom end and delivered it to wilkyway this morning, then headed over to hartlepool to see a GT thats breaking for parts on ebay. Struck a deal for the engine without turbo and box as it seems to be in decent condition.

Done all the fiddly work today like taking the front bumper off, radiator, intercooler, removing wiring loom, power steering pipes, earthing points, gear linkages etc ready to drop the engine tomorrow.

All thats left to do is drive shafts and engine mounts, not bad for an hours work eh

Going back tomorrow morning to finish it off and get it home ready for its clean up before being fitted over the next week or two to my GT.

All going to plan the GT should be back on the road with tax and test by the end of the month.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast