Thread: watching dvd's on LCD tv - poor picture

Punto Enthusiast

watching dvd's on LCD tv - poor picture

Right guys, not sure if anyone will no the answer to this but I'll post it anyway.....

I've got an LG 32" LCD tv which when watching digital tv has an excellent picture. However, when watching a dvd the picture becomes very dull and grainy. The title pages of the dvd's are crystal clear, its when the actual movie begins that the picture becomes sh1te.

I was under the impression the picture quality of a dvd would be far greater than that of a freeview channel.

The dvd player's pretty rubbish (goodmans) and is connected via a scart lead. I have another, better, dvd player (panasonic) but can't find it at the moment as I've just moved house. I'll try this one once I find it.

Has anyone any ideas how to improve picture quality? Would connecting the dvd player via the component cables rather than the scart improve picture quality? The TV has an HDMI input, not sure if either of my dvd players has this output, if they have would the picture become clearer if connected via this cable?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Antony

Midland Events Organiser
    a good quality scart lead always helps,and if ur dvd is pants,then that cud contribute aswell.

Punto Enthusiast
    HDMI won't give a great picture through standard DVD playback, its built for an HD output. The PS3 has Blu-ray HDMI playback. I have the 360 HD-DVD drive plugged in via component and the quality is amazing.

Si

Punto know it all
    its the scart lead that will give a good picture not the player or the tv i would recomend a monster cable around £30 for the lowest model cable ad £70 for a very good monster cable

Midland Events Organiser
    the player will make a difference, and the tv also,cause it will,but if using shite cables then ur pissin in the wind!!

as above get a good scart,and see how u go.Or think about investing in a better dvd player.