Thread: Breather Filter.. ?

Punto Enthusiast

Breather Filter.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by ben_ward2oo5
    [IMG]

Sorry for using a members photo that I saw in "your GTs".... but...

I see one of the members has a Breather filter fitted on the front of the engine.. on the left-hand side....

I've got a Piper X breather filter, about the size of the one in the pic... fits in the palm of your hand!... Where do I fit this??? Someone mentioned something about a Catch tank before...

Not quite sure... any suggestions...?

Also, Im not sure, but I tink my turbo could be passing a very tiny small amount of oil... I've been told by someone who drives a cosworth turbo, thats its normal to pass a small amount... not sure tho, when I took off the air intake pipe and looked into inlet manifold, there were small oily deposits, is this something to worry about...

Punto Lover
    The entire reason you fit a breather filter or catch tank is to eliminate the oil from entering the boost pipes, hence small quantities are normal.

IMO after owning a breather filter, they are messy and not worth the hassle.

Tom

Punto Lover
    Ranj, try and get down to Ace Cafe 2nd thurs of the month. There are loads of locals who could help you out.

And if you are ever near the Hounslow Bus garage, get in touch

Punto Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pummy
    Ranj, try and get down to Ace Cafe 2nd thurs of the month. There are loads of locals who could help you out.

And if you are ever near the Hounslow Bus garage, get in touch
    Yea, Soz Pummy.. I was gona ring u neway... Bit confused about some of the modifications and even standard work on the GT....

Im actually always going past the bus garage. Only live in hounslow west, near blockbusters!! lol

Jus been busy with exams n stuff... I've saved ur number neway.. So I'll probably give u a bell later on the weekend... U busy on Sunday..?? thought I could bring the GT down n get some vital advice from u...

Gave it bit of a thrashing today on the A406.. all the way from east london to west racing my mates newly bought 2L GTi Mk3 Golf. Thought I'd lace completely, even though I took beat him silly, it did still keep up... hmmm.. thought the GT3 would have been much faster than that! Maybe I need that SEB2 afterall!

Newayz, let me know if ur free on sunday pummy

cheerz...

Quote Originally Posted by the mk1 kid
    The entire reason you fit a breather filter or catch tank is to eliminate the oil from entering the boost pipes, hence small quantities are normal.

IMO after owning a breather filter, they are messy and not worth the hassle.

Tom
    Rite, so its negligible for a small amount of oil to be in the boost pipe then... I mean... hmm, that doesnt sound too good tho.. I dont mind doing the messy work as long as I know I've got MINT running GT engine!! Only bought the car for £1400, but dont mind spending another coupla grand to get it to become a road king!!

I've bought a 2nd hand inlet manifold which is in really good condition, and a new samco boost pipe, and 2nd hand air flow meter off someone called Rix666 off the forum... but..... not too sure whether to put it on yet, cuz wats the point if that oils gonna be getting into the new manifold as well...!! Theres gotta be some "inexpensive" way to stop the even the small amounts getting to the boost pipe!

Also, think I asked before but, whats the reason for abnormal idling.... Idle control Valve, Air flow meter.... or lamba Sensor????
    Last edited by ranj; 20th January 2007 at 04:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Punto Lover
    The breather filter is the 'cheapest' way of doing it but you're willing throw a couple of grand at it whats £50 on a catch tank..?

The problem with your idle is most likely the ICV but could be caused by anyone of the others.

Tom