Thread: 2 hard drives

2 hard drives

Since my main PC has ****ed up with possible processor problems I need access to the data on the hard drive.

It has XP installed, rather than building a temp PC out of my spares can I put the hard drive in this PC and access the files?

Im guessing I will have to mess about with jumpers to get it working as a second hard drive, but the reason for this post is I dont know if I can access the files from this installation of windows, rather than loading the other version on my other hard drive.

Punto Lover
    yeah dead easy to do, so long as you have the correct cable inside your PC and enough spare power ports.

You need to ensure your current HD is set to Master and the one you want info off of is set to Slave, via the jumper settings on the disks themselves.

You then connect the two via the IDE cable, provided it has two ports on it, otherwise you need an additional IDE cable.

Power the PC upand go into the BIOS, ensure thatboth disks are visible and then let Windows boot up. You should be able to see both drives.

I've probably missed something out, I'm just that used to doing it!

Punto know it all
    set the jumper at the back of the second hard drive to slave

Agile Virus
    Some times the IDE cable (the One that connects the hard drive to the mainboard) has a Master and Slave set.

This means you may need the swap the hard drives over on the cable

Right thats what I thought chaps, thanks.

mattj_uk
    Set 2nd HDD to cable select setting on jumpers if it has that

Punto Lover
    There maybe certain parts of the harddrives you can't access like my documents. I have a dual booting pc with windows xp on both hard drives, but use one for games and the other for general crap. I can't get into the documents using it set as slave when i'm on either one of the hard drives.
    I have to manually boot from either harddrive, and transfer the information into a seperate, non protected file so I can access it seperatly.

Not sure if there is any other way of doing this

Punto Lover
    Thats down to Windows security!

It wont let someone who doesnt have the adequate access writes to access the Documents and Settings folder of someone they shouldnty be trying to!

because your hard disks are dual boot, and not the same installation, Windows on the non-boot disk wont allow the currently logged in account to access it.

There will be ways around this using sharing and windows security/NTFS permissions, but would need to mess around with it to be sure. Its easy enough on networked PCs...I've never tried it on a dual boot PC with separate installations before!

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by PuntoSporting
    Thats down to Windows security!

It wont let someone who doesnt have the adequate access writes to access the Documents and Settings folder of someone they shouldnty be trying to!

because your hard disks are dual boot, and not the same installation, Windows on the non-boot disk wont allow the currently logged in account to access it.

There will be ways around this using sharing and windows security/NTFS permissions, but would need to mess around with it to be sure. Its easy enough on networked PCs...I've never tried it on a dual boot PC with separate installations before!
    Networked pc's is easy enough. I can't seem to get it to work on my dual booting though

Punto Lover
    Let me have a think and I'll see if I can figure out how it could be done! Its got to be possible!