Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics card advice

Punto Lover

Graphics card advice

im basically looking to buy a new graphics card but not sure which to get iv read that pci express is slowly taking over agp so id like to go that way even tho my motherboard supports both. does anybody have any recomendations.

I think i want a 512mb card but will this produce a lot more performance then a 256mb or should i be ideally looking a the mhz they run at not to sure any help appreciated

Also just noticed i have both agp and pci -express slots so would i be able to run both of them together with SLi graphics cards or do i need an actual SLi compatible motherboard which im not too sure if it is ill have to check

cheers steve
    Last edited by turbo ste; 1st September 2006 at 21:34.

You cant afford a 512mb card you twonk and if you can Buy some springs and shocks in stead.

Punto Lover
    shut it you #cough credit card cough#

if im gonna get 1 theres no point in getting one that will play todays game alrite and tomorrows terrible is there?

Punto know it all
    you will need an SLi compatible motherboard, dont think you can SLi a agp and PCI-e though

Steve most decent 256mb cards will play games to a high level for some time yet. Mine is a 256 and i can play Doom3 on ultra.

Punto Lover
    Video memory is irrelevant now tbh.

256mb and 512mb cards make very little difference in terms of performance, no games or applications you are likely to use require or can make use of anywhere near this amount of texture storage, and by the time things will require that much video memory the rest of the card will be a bottleneck so a 512mb isn't even any more futureproof than a 256mb card, only very very professional designers that work with large high quality uncompressed images require this amount of memory, and they wouldn't use a card designed for gameing etc anyway.

512mb cars are just a gimik.

the most important thing is the chipset you go for, so what was you thinking ATi or nVidia and what is your budget?

Also PCI Express is deffinetly taking over, you can't run AGP and PCI-E cards together, and i'm actually very supprised that your motherboard supports both PCI-E and AGP, there are only a few monthboards i know of that are capable of this and none of them are much good, are you sure you motherboard isn't simple AGP and normal PCI ?

To run 2 cards in SLI the cards must be identical, on an SLI enabled motherboard with a small ribbon cable between the 2 cards.
    Last edited by ez tutty; 2nd September 2006 at 21:09.

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by ez tutty

Also PCI Express is deffinetly taking over, you can't run AGP and PCI-E cards together, and i'm actually very supprised that your motherboard supports both PCI-E and AGP, there are only a few monthboards i know of that are capable of this and none of them are much good, are you sure you motherboard isn't simple AGP and normal PCI ?
    i think he will have an agp motherboard and is confusing standard pci slots to be pci express....

Punto Lover
    yeah spoke to a lad at work bout it today i thought it wouldn't work but no harm in making sure I was looking probably for a nVidia but not really sure what are the main differences really?? oh budget stretching up to bout 200 mark preferably less

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Stavros
    i think he will have an agp motherboard and is confusing standard pci slots to be pci express....
    nope checked motherboard and it is AGP and PCI-E compatible to extra slots with an additional 4 pci slots
    Last edited by turbo ste; 2nd September 2006 at 22:46.

Punto Lover
    for £200 your looking at either the nVidia GeForce 7900 GT, or the ATI Radeon X1900 XT.

From what i've read the Geforce 7900 GT seems to be the better performing card.

Punto Lover
    ok cheers pablo ill keep looking into it. next question best place to buy from im looking on overclockers.co.uk but also gonna go down to a local computer fair when i find out when its on and try and barter with someone who has 1 that i want. any other suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast