Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: POTR Big Valve head Spec

Punto Sports Club Member
    are they still doing these heads?
    is this as good as i gets in the way of a punto head?
    what bhp will it run before being on its new limit. also what is max safe rpm. i have a top secret project hoping for 9_10k rpm but i have a feeling the head will be the week link??

Everyone will have their opinions and without starting a debate....Good head is hard to come by. POTR aren't really making heads much these days because from a business POV its not great money.

Punto Sports Club Member
    ok hans but will the potr do what i want it to?
    any1 no?

Depends who you speak to

I had success with them. I am sure if you had a 2011 head it would be better than a 2001 head, he's mainly working on Ferrari engines now and doing headwork on these.

Last time I tried to get a quote it was about 900 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by PD_Punto View Post
    is this as good as i gets in the way of a punto head?
    No, far from it. Hans is trying to be smart when he says a 2011 head is better than a 2001 head, that's his defence on what I'm about to say next:

Just get it done by CNC Heads - they made a better flowing head than the POTR BVH using standard sized valves, first go, catching up on 15yrs experience and bettering it in 15hrs. They cut up a standard head to work out the water galleries and wall thickness of the ports etc, then used a computer to design the optimum flow, ported the head with a cnc machine then finished it by hand. At certain parts of the valve lift, especially the early part, the POTR head was flowing less than standard and overall looked very poor (lots of turbulence in the ports, and can be seen by a wavey line on the flow graph). Waste of time IMHO, just get proper headwork done, Hans said himself, "good head is hard to come by". You don't want to spend your money on something that is worse than standard.

I have had all 3 types of head and have flow graphs of all 3 and one combining them all - the CNC head reigns supreme and by a wide margin, it flows over 20% more air on both inlet and exhaust - crucially it flows this 20% more from the beginning of the valve lift, you read a flow graph like a power one, it's not the peak figure we're looking at, its what's under the line that counts - POTR head was only any good at .5" lift, no Punto cam lifts that much, rendering the head worse than standard since it was behind for the majority of the valve lift.

Punto Enthusiast
    How much would it cost to have it done at CNC heads?

Any good headwork will cost more than the value of the car!

Debo Ferrari owners wouldn't accept ****...

That might be the case, but a lot of them are stupid and pay over the odds for s**t jobs - I have seen some of the poor "detailing" attempts on Ferrari's, and yet the owner will have paid good money for such work. He might sub Ferrari work out anyway, even the legend that is Guy Croft sends stuff to CNC Heads

As far as Punto heads go, there's a lot of crooks out there who'll take £300/400 off you, make a mess of your head and give it back to you. These guys generally don't provide flow graphs, because that would show up poor work. CNC are about £700 or more, the flow graph for a Punto head is on their website - that's from our head, you'd get an exact replica because its done by machine.

Punto Enthusiast
    So what's the best thing to do to the head that won't cost a fortune lol

Leave it standard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast