Thread: Ram & CPU

Punto know it all

Ram & CPU

Looking to upgrade both of these as my comp is falling behind:
    • 512mb ram (spec unknown)
    • Xp1800 1.5 GHz

Just to confirm, what I can and can’t get really?

On my mobo box it says ddr333/400 - does this mean I can get any 333/400 ddr ram or are there other limiting factors as well? (I want 2 x 1 GB sticks).

The motherboard is socket 462 which is a bit dated but I’ve found some 3200+ going cheap, is the socket the only limiting factor of the new CPU or are there others?

I’m pretty sure there is another one? As on the box it says FSB 266,333mhz, and the description for that CPU is BUS Clock : 400 MHz (DDR) - are these the two same things (meaning I can’t upgrade to that CPU) or not?

Alternatively if anyone is selling anything I could be after to let me know

Punto know it all
    imo, id sell what u have

depending on what u do on ur computer obviosly decides the spec....

a intel p4 upto 3.2ghz will be adequate for anything, except hardcore gaming

an amd dual core x2 etc. with 1-2gb of good ram will be adequate for gaming

Punto know it all
    Im not looking to spend much, especially on a new motherboard. I know its weak and can't handle that much but I know it can take a bit more than it has, just to make running it a bit easier.

As for my questions?

Punto Enthusiast
    Hi, CaL, ddr 333/400 is the speed of the RAM and that is what the motherboard can take.

You will have to look in the motherboard manual to check the motherboard can take 2gb of RAM. Its a socket 462 so it shouldn't have any problems (just to be on th safe side tbh).

With upgrading the CPU the only thing I can see being a problem is the software, especially with Windows XP. You MAY need to reload your Windows with the new CPU. If you dont then you may need to re-activate Windows which will involve calling an 0800 number and speaking to an advisor. Because each activation is hardware specific so if you do it online it will say key already in use.

When upgrading the CPU make sure the FSB on the CPU is no more then 400 unless is states otherwise in the motherboard manuel.

Hope this is of help?!?!

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    cal i wouldnt bother upgrading for a while myself. 64 bit tech nology is going to be widespread soon and anything you o get now will be obselete then just like everbody elses.

Punto know it all
    64bit is still only best achived on a mac. 64bit architecture and OS.

Punto know it all
    2gb ram is usless on xp 1gb is more than enough get a socket 939 cpu n board when i was looking a amd xp 3200 64 i think it was and a board was gonna set me back 150-200 depending where you got it and with these you can use existing ram and gfx cards if u have 1

although power supply may need to be upgraded as there pretty powerful systems