Thread: Intranet & Extranet

vtec_will

Question Intranet & Extranet

Can somebody give me a simple exlpanation of both please, studying it on a course, but want a clear idea of how they differ. Thanks - will!

1/4 mile at a time
    intranet is an internal network, like what you would find at a university or large business organisation. Run on servers located in one main building enabling users to access info from a central database OR access the WWW through the intranet.

i think...

Photoshoppin' Post Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by T
    intranet is an internal network, like what you would find at a university or large business organisation. Run on servers located in one main building enabling users to access info from a central database OR access the WWW through the intranet.

i think...
    yep t is right.....

vtec_will
    OK so you dont have to be connected to the internet to access the intranet, but you can access the net through it?!

OK, so what about extranet?

Punto Lover
    I believe an extranet is a network of intranets. Just like an intranet is a network of computers/servers/printers etc.

Punto Lover
    This is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

An intranet is a private computer network that uses Internet protocols, network connectivity, and possibly the public telecommunication system to securely share part of an organization's information or operations with its employees. Sometimes the term refers only to the most visible service, the internal website. The same concepts and technologies of the Internet such as clients and servers running on the Internet protocol suite are used to build an intranet. HTTP and other Internet protocols are commonly used as well, especially FTP and e-mail. There is often an attempt to use Internet technologies to provide new interfaces with corporate 'legacy' data and information systems.
    An extranet is a private network that uses Internet protocols, network connectivity, and possibly the public telecommunication system to securely share part of a business's information or operations with suppliers, vendors, partners, customers or other businesses. An extranet can be viewed as part of a company's Intranet that is extended to users outside the company (eg: normally over the Internet).
    So basically my understanding, and Wikipedia kinda confirmed it, is that an Intranet is a portal for internal employees to gain information about their organisation...and an extranet is much the same thing but whereby authorised external contacts have access as well.

samdavis
    Quote Originally Posted by PuntoSporting
    This is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

So basically my understanding, and Wikipedia kinda confirmed it, is that an Intranet is a portal for internal employees to gain information about their organisation...and an extranet is much the same thing but whereby authorised external contacts have access as well.
    In simple terms extranet is no different to an ordinary internet site i.e. you need to be connected to the internet to use it!