Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Test

Punto Lover

Driving Test

My girlfriend has got her driving test on the 10th May and its been nearly 4 years since i passed and im guessing the tests are a bit different

Just wondered if anyone had passed their test recently and can tell me what questions you get asked etc..

Apparently you need to know about oil levels and coolant levels etc...

Cheers

Punto Lover
    yep "tell me show me"

theres 9 questions in total

Punto Lover
    its all on the dvla web site i think

Punto Lover
    And what are they mate?

Punto Sports Club Member webber77's Avatar
    Can you show me where the oil goes, can you show me where you would check the oil, show me how you would check the brake lights are working etc...

Punto know it all
    checks under the bonnet, but tbh most instructor cars have yellow caps over the things u need 2 know

Punto Lover
    i mean dsa

Example 1
    1. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.

No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.

2. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.

Identify dipstick / oil level indicator, describe checking of oil level against the minimum/maximum markers.

3. Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.

Identify reservoir, check level against high/low markings.

4. Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.

Applying the indicators or hazard warning switch and checking functioning of all indicators.

5. Show me how you would check the parking brake for excessive wear.

Demonstrate by applying parking brake that when it is fully applied it secures itself, and is not at the end of the working travel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 2
    1. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.

Identify high/low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.

2. Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.

Identify reservoir and explain how to check level.

3. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.

Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.

Applying the indicators or hazard warning switch and checking functioning of all indicators.

5. Show me / explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.

If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 3
    1. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.

Identify dipstick / oil level indicator, describe checking of oil level against the minimum/maximum markers.

2. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.

Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.

3. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.

Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.

4. Show me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working.

Operate switch (turn on ignition if necessary), walk round vehicle.

Demonstrate by applying parking brake that when it is fully applied it secures itself, and is not at the end of the working travel.

Example 4
    1. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.

Identify high/low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.

2. Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.

Identify reservoir, check level against high/low markings.

3. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.

Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.

5. Show me / explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.

If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.

Example 5
    1. Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.

Identify reservoir and explain how to check level.

2. Tell me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car.

Operate brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc, or ask someone to help.

3. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.

No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.

4. Show me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working.

Operate switch (turn on ignition if necessary), walk round vehicle.

5. Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off road only).

Check is carried out by using control.

Example 6
    1. Tell me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car.

Operate brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc, or ask someone to help.

2. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.

4. Show me / explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.

Example 7
    1. Tell me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car.

3. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.

4. Show me how you would check the parking brake for excessive wear.

5. Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off road only).

Check is carried out by using control.

Punto Lover
    Thanks mate

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Add_punto
    checks under the bonnet, but tbh most instructor cars have yellow caps over the things u need 2 know
    do they balls, thats like saying -

so do the turn in the road and in test bloke saying

" no you can still go a bit further back"

Punto know it all
    she will also have to wear a short skirt and a low cut top...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast