Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play guitar?

Punto Lover

Play guitar?

does anyone play here? I started learning the begining of this year. I'm taking lessons once a week.

i've got an asian strat at the mo, which is doing me fine as a starter (and the only way i was gonna start up, cos the bargain price was justifiable), although, now i'm a bit more edgemicated the humbucker sound might be the way forward for me

been trying to play a bit of Jet (qite difficult for a newbie methinks), the classic riffs, bit'o'queen, some chilis,

so who else palys? (or tries to!)

Punto Sports Club Member xploitGT's Avatar
    i would like to learn what kind of price is ti for an electric guitar and lessons etc.

I would love to learn how to play punk rock riffs.
    XploitGT

Punto Lover
    well, there's loads of deal/brands out there, but the ones everyone know are Fender (stratcastor, telecastor) and gibson (sg, les paul). gibson are tend to be more expensive due to the way they are made, which put me off as a newbie, as i didn't know if i would stick it out.

fender make guitars in three different places US (originals and best, but more expensive), mexico (middle price range, good quality [apparently of course, i have no experience]), asia (mines indonesian, cheaper, and more mass produced, I'm exceptional surprised by the quality, has absolutely zero flaws, and i'm well chuffed. my teacher says it's extremely good quality too, which means alot.)

i paid £160 for mine, with a fender practice amp (which is ok for newbie, goes more than load enough to wake the neighbours!), starter pack (plectrums and starp, tutorial, leads) from chamberlain music online. i'm well chuffed. i went for the black, but in hindsight i would have bought the sunburst (+£10). then you'll need to buy a tuner, not expensive ~£15.

as for lesson, one of my best mate's dad have taught for year and years, and is an awesome player/teacher. he charges me £8/hr (which is a big bargain, but not mates rates however)

it's tough going, very tough. but i'm determined and i really wanna do it to bang some tunes out. it's getting easier. it's so frustrating when the only sounds you make are crap, and everyone else makews it look so easy, but when you get something sounding good, what a rush. and peeps can help but be impressed.

i would say tho, only do it if you are serious about it and are not gonna give up easily (i have set myself a [at least] 1 year no quit rule), otherwise it may be a waste of money. although saying that, even if you cant play, they make cool living room furniture.

Punto Sports Club Member xploitGT's Avatar
    ill look into it.

i say id like to learn punk rock as when i listen to green day it just makes me think i want to do that.
    XploitGT

Punto Sports Club Member cinquepunto's Avatar
    I play bass mainly but I play a bit of guitar on the side lol

Punto Sports Club Member cinquepunto's Avatar
    oh yeah, you should check out my band's myspace page @

http://www.myspace.com/splinteredvisions

there's a couple of tracks - one live and one with programmed drums.

If anyone's local we're playing at the Engine Room in Brighton on the 22nd May @ 8pm

Punto Lover
    ive been playing since i was 11 so 10 years.. just a bit of tinkering now n again but i reccomend the les paul copy by vintage.. that was my starter guitar.. still got it too

then i moved to a more heavier type Ibanez RG550

Punto Lover
    my teacher has loads of cool guitars. for lessons and mucking about he uses a ibanez superstrat, and thats cool, for mixing start and gibson sound.

Banned
    I used to play classical at grade 7 standard, quit before i did my grade 8 exam.

Electric is for pussies, classical is where the skill is at.

Punto know it all
    i bought myself one for xmas last year, a fender squire, cost me about £120, couldn't figure out how to tune it and gave up, wish i could learn but haven't got the time or patience. it's now sitting in the corner of my studio gathering dust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast