Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Downloading

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by waj787
    Wireless dongle on a laptop I presume? What make is the wireless transmitter (the boxwith an aerial, hooked up to a network cable somehwere in your house). And when you say "i need to unplug and plug in again" what exactly is it that you unplug? The dongle from your laptop or the power cable from the transmitter/router?

(I hope transmitter is the correct word I'm not sure..)

no its connected to my PC, its a usb dongle, i have to take it out of the base station and then plug back in to get it to re-connect to the net

Punto know it all
    im just using the router that comes with the bt boradband package.

bt voyager ADSL router?

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by djvibsta
    no its connected to my PC, its a usb dongle, i have to take it out of the base station and then plug back in to get it to re-connect to the net
    That's interesting. That would suggest the problem may not be completely resting with the router.

Punto know it all
    ok i'm using www.shareaza.com, was downloading a file last night and now i have no connection speed, any ideas why? i'm connected to the net and can use other programes, its a pain i'm 91% done on something and it stopped hrs ago
    ok back to this, any ideas?

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by GTste
    im just using the router that comes with the bt boradband package.

bt voyager ADSL router?
    You having the same problem matey?

There is half a solution to the problem though. If you go into your download client (I use the uTorrent client) and in the options find where it says something like "Global maximum number of connections" and set this to 150-200, you'll find it may do the trick. Certainly works for me - it enables me to download overnight without the connection dropping once. And this solution reinforces the thoery of a "large-number-of-connections" problem. Anyway try this and see if it makes any difference to you guys.

Incidentally, Windows also places a limit on the number of simultaneous connections at any one time but the default is sufficient and doesn't require changing. The reason why Windows places a limit is I understand for security reasons - to protect against viruses that open up hundreds of connections and bring your PC to a standstill maybe, don't know for sure. But this feature may well be integrated into routers for the same reason...

Punto know it all
    ok cheers bud ill see if that does the trick.

Punto Lover
    ok back to this, any ideas?
    If it's a torrent, the tracker may be down? How many seeds/peers are you connected to? What's the client telling you? Anything written about the server/tracker?

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by waj787
    If it's a torrent, the tracker may be down? How many seeds/peers are you connected to? What's the client telling you? Anything written about the server/tracker?
    you what?? lol

ok here goes all it says is client 953 sources, size etc and the speed comes and goes from 0- 18kbs(or whatever it is)

Dont know what others think, but for over a year my wireless router has been a complete homo, and i always thought it maybe had a 'temper' but since NTl has given us another free upgrade it is completely fine, i was on 2mb now in excess of 3mb.

Also, like one lad said, get with the times, NewsGroups is where the shizzles at, u can download a DVD and all accompying PAR files (around 5.5 - 6 GB in 8- 9 hours) Not all your VCD bull. Especially this time of year around the oscars lots of movies get posted up. i have a constant 250kb/s also thru a wireless router.

Punto Lover
    Problem with newsgroups though is the waiting. I used to use them but got fed up with the queues. Now I get 250kb/s on community torrent sites (1s that require registration)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast