Thread: Winter at the Nurburgring

Punto60SX

Winter at the Nurburgring

The village of Breidscheid/Adenau

On-track - Adenau Bridge leading to Ex-Muhle

Adenau Bridge (Home to many an incident with the wall)

The view walking up towards Bergwerk

Walking through Kesselchen

A brief blizzard as the wind catches the trees

One of the distance markers around the circuit

The uphill run up to the Karussel, taking in Steilstrecke

The Karussel

The main straight past the barriers

We went away just to get away from the hustle and bustle, and eventual anti-climax of New Year here in the UK. I kind of knew that the track wouldn't be open, but deep down I still hoped for a sneaky lap or two, but that wasn't to be.

Walking the Nordschleife is full of mixed emotions. You are aware of the pedigree of the drivers who have driven it, and I remember some of the cars hurtling round on my last visit in September, but to see it totally empty and still is bizarre.

It's just so peaceful. We walked up from Ex-Muhle to the Karussell, and it's deceivingly steep, it really is a tough climb on foot. It's not until you get that close to the circuit that you begin to realise how much of a driving challenge it really is. When we stopped for a rest, it took me a minute to realise why it felt so strange... we could hear nothing. Literally only the sound of our own breathing. No cars, no people, not even the birds could be heard singing. Utterly peaceful, and I loved it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pictures and it gives a sense of what a wonderful place this is. I can't wait now until the snow melts and I can return for it's real purpose

Gearbox Abuser
    very nice mate.. lucky bastard

1/4 mile at a time
    looks wonderful matey.