Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review : Project GT-Boy

Review : Project GT-Boy

right, after someone posting up about what was your first thread, and i read mine, it made me realise how long ago i started my project, and how little progress i have made for one reason or another.

so, i'm going to bite the bullet and really get stuck in, so i can get it finished asap, because i'm tired of seeing her looking in such a bad state on the drive.

i have alot of the parts already, so its now down to me to actually get the work done.
    the problem i have, is that i want this to be a show car aswell as the 'speed car' it is going to be built as. but, working in the car restoration industry, my idea of a show car, is probably different to most of yours.
    at the moment the car has most of its interior stripped out, and has no top-end to its engine. the bodykit that it did have, has been removed, as have the alloys (its on stands on the driveway, and has been for about 18months), she was also fitted with cadamuro wide arches blended into beast skirts, but the areas that have been filled have started to crack and bubble, as has the boot where it was smoothed off.

so my plan for the next few weeks is to sort out my mums garage so i can get the car in, and have space to put all the removed parts,
    then COMPLETELY strip the car back to a bare shell, removing the wide arches and skirts too. inside the sound deadening will be scraped of the shell.
    then the shell with boot and doors will be sent for sand blasting, to leave me with a base to start on.
    the whole car will then be prepped, and bodykit trial fitted. at this stage all gaps (door, bonnet, boot) will be adjusted to give a completely even gap.
    handles and locks will also be blanked to give a smooth look. the beast skirts will again be fitted and blended in with the cadamuro rear arches, but the fronts will be new type k arches in carbon showing weave.
    once the whole car is prepped it will then be primered, then sprayed in an undisclosed colour. it is a metallic non standard colour, thats all i'm saying.
    once it is sprayed it will then be flatted and polished inside and out (including underneath) to give a proper showcar finish.
    i also have a MAJOR modification to make to the shell prior to spraying, but you will have to wait to see it!
    once all that is done, its time for re-fitting. the majority of the parts that will be refitted (suspension and engine wise) will be powdercoated or chromed

the engine spec i have so far is:

1372cc GT block, bored to 1390cc to accept 81mm CPS Pistons
    POTR Head
    POTR Tubular Manifold
    POTR Headbolts
    DTA engine management
    FSE
    Integrale Pump
    MD103R Turbo
    Piper Fast Road Cam
    Spearco FMIC
    Pace Radiator
    C02 Intercooler spray system
    N0S kit (i also have the numberplate 'M3 NOS' to go with it)

although i already have the MD103R turbo, and the 81mm pistons, i will probably not use these for this engine, as i have found another turbo i would like to use, and am also thinking of going for a 1600 bottom end using the CPS 87mm pistons and a lightened and balanced bottom end.

The exterior spec is:

Euro front spoiler in carbon, with smoothed bumper and abarth fogs blended in
    type k bonnet
    morrettes
    type k carbon front arches
    cadamuro rears
    beast side skirts
    type k rear bumper, with bottom section in carbon
    smooth boot panel in carbon
    arbarth rear spoiler in carbon
    carbon race mirrors
    rub-strips removed
    de-locked and handled
    sprayed metallic mystery colour

Chassis:

show wheels:
    http://www.carbonmadness.com/images/...tem01-tw01.jpg
    undecided whether to go for 17's or 18's though
    when car is used at strip i will try a combination of wheels/tyres till i find which works best
    coilovers, either FK or Spax
    brembo brake kit.
    originaly i had a OMP bolt in cage, but i am going to make my own bespoke cage once the interior is stripped, it will be welded in, and sprayed body colour. it will also house the nitrous and co2 bottles

Interior:

once the dash and center console have been removed it gives me a chance to work out where all the gauges etc will go.
    i have found a digital dash that i will be using, which included all the auxillery gauges i need. i also have a electronic boost controller, power meter and turbo timer to blend in. the plastic buttons will be removed and replace with aluminium push buttons, including start button.
    as weight is also an issue for me (the car, not me!) i have gone for carbon bucket seats (which are suprisingly cumfy), with 6 point harnesses
    and carbon door cards, and thats it!

ICE:

Yeah rite!

Security:

Lots!

i thinks thats about it, as you can see i have my work cut out for the next few months as i'm doing the lot myself.
    i'm off to sort the garage out then!

thanks for reading and hopefully soon i will be able to update it with some ACTUAL progress for once, lol

MAtt

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more!
    Look forward to seeing it

Gearbox Abuser
    thats an interesting read mate.

all i can say is good luck.. if you pull it off id stick my neck out and say it will be ther best punto in the UK.

keep us posted.

Carnage
    A wise man once said to me:

"Talk is cheap"
    Last edited by minifreak; 12th November 2005 at 18:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage

"Talk is cheap"
    This wiseman says, "shutup" and "let him get on it with", follow by "Im sure it will happen".

Gearbox Abuser

"Talk is cheap"

very true, and then again my first thread said "i want a 2ltr and gunner do it myself"

now look

Carnage
    Over the last week or so since joining the forum, I have read alot about people wanting to see pictures, and evidence to back up their claims. Why is this not the case here? No progress in 18months this bloke is saying, and then Lord Grishnack, you say "let him get on with it"??? Is a year and a half not letting him get on with it?

Minifreak, I have read your updates regarding your 2.0 - very nice project. Well done.

I also look forward to seeing this supreme 1400 or 1600 Punto, if/when it is completed.

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more!
    Over the last week or so since joining the forum, I have read alot about people wanting to see pictures, and evidence to back up their claims. Why is this not the case here? No progress in 18months this bloke is saying, and then Lord Grishnack, you say "let him get on with it"??? Is a year and a half not letting him get on with it?

Minifreak, I have read your updates regarding your 2.0 - very nice project. Well done.

I also look forward to seeing this supreme 1400 or 1600 Punto, if/when it is completed.
    Sitting on the fence. Maybe there were circumstances as to why it has not been started before.

Gearbox Abuser
    the thng about GT boy is that progress may be slow, but he is a regular of the forum. and has proven he has most the engine parts.

If I had ever posted my ending spec 'project meltdown' then it would have looked really far fetched just to read with no car.

Also when you own a house and have other things to do, modifying a car plays second fiddle to say..in my case tiling my bathroom not that I even own a car doh!!

Anyway Im going to out too see project meltdown in 2 weeks (for my birthday) it has ferrari 355 front brakes and now runs 3xx hp at 2bar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast