View Poll Results: Are you happy to keep in floored in 4th \ 5th?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

5 35.71%
  • Yes

9 64.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving it some...

demonfish

Giving it some...

Some people with turbos dont like raggin their car in 1st \ second, some dont like holding prolonged periods in 4th \ 5th....

which are you?

I never like nailing it in 5th....

puntodan
    I can't really answer this one but personally i don't like holding on too long in 5th as that is when there is most stress on the engine I feel! Would rather give it some in the first 4 gears and then back off in 5th to save petrol and potentially the engine!

Anonymous
    Only once have I really pushed my car in 5th, and that was to see how fast it'd go. It normally gets a bit of stick in 1st and 2nd, maybe third on an open road, but I'm just not confident of the Punto's handling at higher speeds to drive it too hard.

Punto know it all
    matt, i'll happily floor mine in fourth and fifth, and take it to 6000prm in fourth. it never ever goes above 20 psi, so no worries there, and the charge never rises about 50 degress even on the hottest day.

why should'nt you nail in high gears??

mook

Anonymous
    i'm always nailing it in 4th and 5th...... tend not to in 1st or 2nd too much though, it screams far too easily

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac
    i'm always nailing it in 4th and 5th...... tend not to in 1st or 2nd too much though, it screams far too easily
    i must admit i am bitterly dissapointed at the lack of a

"return of the mac"

mook

soche
    Quote Originally Posted by puntodan
    ...back off in 5th to save petrol and potentially the engine!
    Isnt petrol consumption worst whilst rev's are higher, so in lower gears when you are ragging the tits of your engine (especially in 1st when you can red line a matter of a second or so) you are really burning up the fuel a lot more.

If its engine preservation you want, I would recommend taking it easy in first as this is the most powerful and least petrol conserving gear on the car and rag the rest!!

demonfish
    i suppose by monitoring the EGT, you would know if it was getting too hot

FLiPNFiLL
    I worry when flooring it it 5th if im doin about 120mph as it feels like its straining etc

But then I think to myself...

Its a GT, SURELY as the top model in its range its been designed to give and take a hammering?

I'll happily hit the redline in all gears - if she blows - she blows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast