Thread: imate JAM/T-mobile MDA compact...

Punto Lover

imate JAM/T-mobile MDA compact...

anyone had any experience with these?? I'm looking into new phone possibilitys but theres nothing around phone-wise that i like, I know the technology and design itself is pretty much ancient (i first heard about the imate JAM aggggges ago) but they look capable enough for my needs on paper, and the optional satnav looks as though it'd be usefull for, errm, plotting long walks to the bus stop or something, anyways, opinions?? (and no, i don't want to do what everyone else has and plump for a D500/K750 etc )

MDA compact (rebranded imate)

with satnav (which i have no use for, but want ohhh sooo much, although co-pilot is supposed to be ****)
    Last edited by 55tim; 28th October 2005 at 21:25.

Punto Lover
    If you are going to use say the GPS and eMail then cool. Bear in mind it can also be used a music / video player, voice recorder and all sorts. The software is out there and a lot of the stuff is free.

Worth it if you can stand the smaller than average PDA screen. If you are going to reply on this as a phone, bear in mind that when a crash happens you had hope that you had taken a backup recently to restore from. Also the device is not supported well on Macs.

Punto Lover
    well, in the end I just thought **** it and ordered one

but they were out of stock

hopefully It'll be here soon though, and if it dares to BSOD on me, I'll bring about it's death with a hammer!

Looks like I'll have to make do with the ancient/broken/brick like N-GAGE for another week or two then...

(and incase anyone cares, I passed on the co-pilot satnav, and will be sorting out a tomtom bluetooth receiver and software next month, it's cheaper, and better...)
    Last edited by 55tim; 31st October 2005 at 19:59.