Thread: 1st conviction for chippin consoles

1st conviction for chippin consoles

http://www.compshopper.co.uk/shopper/news/74756

Some journalists are shiit. They cant even provide clear fact. Did he get convicted for installin a chip, or coz of the 80 games he filled the harddrive with?

Punto know it all
    some local schit, eh?!

what a pile of stupidness! - it seems to be more fussed about the chipping rather than the 80 games on the HD, lol

gutted though!

I know, i always thought it was legal to chip xbox's- i've been lyed to by me mate who did that shiit his final year project at uni!

Banned Trader
    how can it be legal?

its a form of piracy dude!

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by m6dfw
    how can it be legal?

its a form of piracy dude!
    fitting the chip isn't, but the illeghal games on his HDD were, although it sounds like that wasn't what he was convicted for

*EDIT* so the chipping is illegal too, i don't see why it should be though.

Not the physical act of installin a chip. Using it to by-pass copyrights etc is, but hackin the xbox to put linux on it, for example, should not be illegal. Especially since you own the product anyway.

Maybe he got done coz he was sellin them on for a profit with 80 games (£3000 worth ) ...

Punto Lover
    From what I can gather, it wasn't just the fact that he chipped the xbox, but more that he modified it. This supposedly became an offence last year...

Punto know it all
    that's stupid!

they say it's ok to use backup games, as long as you own the original, ok, (or is even that illegal now?!) but you can't play backups without the chip?

Punto Enthusiast
    right a chip is legal with its cromwell(linux based)bios as is flashed on the chip when you buy it.
    problem is you need a 'cracked' bios to run any apps,back up games etc.
    these are made by hacking the M$ bios using there xbox dev tool XDK.this is illegal hense the bios is illegal.
    backing up games is legal but you must own the original,by supplying the games on the hard drive he would either have had to supply originals with it or(sneakier)get the buyer to sign a disclaimer that they owned the originals and the chipper was installing the games as a service for them.

also many apps on the xbox chipping scene are made with XDK are are also illegal.

dont think a chipped xbox is only for playing back up games.i have one that runs xbox media centre with a 250GB H/D which i pretty much use for media

dont do a lot off chipping myself,more into led mods
    like these