Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: GT vs Clio 172 (quick vid, not directed)

y0z2a
    Hi Paul - how you doing mate?

Well I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by PuntoGTturbo
    whats y0z? clio forum i guess?
    y0z is Me, and Yes, from ClioSport.net

Punto's I have gone against - maybe 7/8 have all been obliterated.

They come racing up behind me, I put my foot down, they drop back...

Straight line, a standard one will do a 1/4 mile in about 14.9 (roughly) Air Filter and de-cat will lose about 1/2 a second off this in most cases.

I heard a story from a guy at the place where I swap my tyres over that his friend had a punto GT running about 170+ bhp and had tried to race me. Coincidence has it that he was saying that this cup (mine) had owned him. guy from garage told him that he knew the car, and mentioned it when i was up there the other week. I didn't know much about it, as I can't even remember the incident. LOL

/y0z

y0z2a
    Quote Originally Posted by jimma
    Not when it's running three pistons in four cylinders
    *BINGO*

I was waiting for this.

tart

LOL

/y0z

Punto know it all
    ... and we all say GT's are unreliable *winds*

Forget all this bull**** about "quicker car this" and "straight line that", the 172 and a tuned GT are close enough in terms of speed to have it come down to driver ability.

Did I mention I beat a CTR in a straight line from a standing start to over a ton the other day? This is because he was a monkey of a driver - he should have killed me.

On a track with the same driver the 172 is significantly quicker.

On a road it comes down to the driver and in most cases the driver's stupidity for exceeding a speed limit or safety buffer by a certain amount.

y0z2a
    Quote Originally Posted by xzibit
    A standard 172 and standard GT, the 172 will own the punto. A seb2 GT will hold off a standard 172, but give the 172 a few mods, and it's back to before. A 182 will just about hold off a seb2 GT.

The GT will obviously accelerate extremely well in gear, because of the torque, but the 172/182's will beat a standard GT to 100 by a second or two.
    this is what I would have thought, and as soon as you throw a bend in there, it would be bye bye fiat.

My old 1.8 16v gave jimma a good for his money around bruntingthorpe sprint circuit.

He had the straight line speed to catch me but not quite enough to overtake me, and i had the corner speed to pull enough for him not to catch me on the straights.

I would put money on a 172/182 95% of the time. You would have to have a mental GT to test the 172/182. But then again, i still think a 182/172 would prevail, as would a williams.

/y0z

Punto know it all
    That was quite good fun actually, have to love the GT's inherent understeering ability to sniff out the edge of the track around the 100+ mph bend toward the airplane at B'thorpe! I was in a standard GT as well

y0z2a
    ... and we all say GT's are unreliable *winds*

Forget all this bull**** about "quicker car this" and "straight line that", the 172 and a tuned GT are close enough in terms of speed to have it come down to driver ability.

Did I mention I beat a CTR in a straight line from a standing start to over a ton the other day? This is because he was a monkey of a driver - he should have killed me.

On a track with the same driver the 172 is significantly quicker.

On a road it comes down to the driver and in most cases the driver's stupidity for exceeding a speed limit or safety buffer by a certain amount.
    I was going for less weight!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...g/IMG_2587.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...g/IMG_2588.jpg

I agree - or exceeding their abilty in the red mist.

On track there would be no question. 172 would walk it.

/y0z

Danny_boy85
    Just on the bit of a CTR vs a GT to 100, wasnt there a video on here of a seb setup GT doing 100 in 14ish seconds? thats 2 ish seconds faster than a CTR? and a Clio 172/182 to 80, in a line i will add, will lose to a seb GT IMO.

I Can agree that drivers themselves make a big difference, but if you go by the figures, a GT will beat a 182/172 and a CTR to 100 i think. But bends are a different matter! give the GT a bend the size of Dover and it will understear! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_boy85
    but if you go by the figures, a GT will beat a 182/172 and a CTR to 100 i think.
    lol

Going by the figures mate, the GT is wayyyyy behind to 100.
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Punto know it all
    it definitaly depends on the drivers ability! im NOT trying to make the clio look sh*t or anything, i know exactly how quick they are.. there was a big gap between the 172 and me coz i launched really really well, opened the gap in 1st and 2nd gear.. this is where the 'torque' talks, not BHP

i ran 1/4 mile in 15.3s in standard plus it was missfiring when it boosted above 0.8bar... power was lacking soon as i hit 3rd gear

everythings sorted now, expecting mid 14's

Danny_boy85
    Quote Originally Posted by Dêbô
    lol

Going by the figures mate, the GT is wayyyyy behind to 100.
    A Seb set up GT mate. There is a vid on here of one getting there in 14 seconds.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast