Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: GT vs Clio 172 (quick vid, not directed)

Punto Enthusiast
    The DC2 is my fav, had a blast with a DC5 (should have added to the list in the other thread! lol) literally on the way back from collecting my car after the cams had been done and didn't really impress me for a 220bhp car (they are 220bhp aren't they? :-? ). Although to be fair post people dont seem to be able to drive the i-VTEC cars even in a straight line. My friend recently bought the original DC2 in Champs White and that car is lovely, very very fast, would pish on my car I reckon and thats running about 210 on the last RR with just simple breathing mods... stunning power for a N/A 1.8... and the noise... why doesn't the CTR's i-VTEC come in as loud and aggressive???

chris n`nic
    Quote Originally Posted by 16GT
    Do you have a cup by any chance?

Sorry m8...I didn`t see this post.. Yeah mine is a Cup

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    why doesn't the CTR's i-VTEC come in as loud and aggressive???
    The EP3's VTEC bark is actually louder than any other models? The reason it doesn't kick in as harshly is because the new i-VTEC engines have more torque pre-VTEC, and therefore isn't as harsh, although it's definately noticeable. i-VTEC has variable cam timing (hence the 'i' which stands for 'intelligent'), this is why there's more torque all round, and a smoother power curve.

Coincidentally, the DC2 is regarded as the best handling FWD car of all time.
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

CTR_Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_wrex
    3. Anyone who buys a CTR should clearly open their eyes and ask themselves what they are doing when clearly an Integra is a much better option without a shadow of a doubt
    Are you talking about the DC2 or DC5 ?
    DC2 is slower in a straight line, slower on track than a JDM CTR, has a lack of security, has less torque, poorer brakes and is poverty spec inside. It's a good drivers tool, but as a day to day car a CTR is a better all round package. There was an article in JTuner about a dyno day they had, virtually non of them got over 160bhp atw. Pretty rubbish really considering some of them were tuned.
    DC5 is very similar to the CTR, same chassis, same basic engine (CTR cams are better if your N/a tune it), virtually identical in a straight line, quicker on corners because of it's LSD(that you also get on a JDM CTR). Worth the 5k premium over a CTR ? Probably not unless it's the aesthetics that your buying it for.

4. In my experience the majority of CTR owners are poncy bastards who buy a fairly quick car to look flash and couldn't drive a go kart for love nor money. Apart from one occassion when a CTR driver did piss on me and to be honest i was glad because he actually used the car how it is supposed to be used.
    Yup there are plenty of people who don't drive them who they are designed to be driven. That said, you could level that accusation at drivers of many cars, perhaps they are slightly more worried about crashing a car worth rather more than £2k's worth of Punto? I'd feel the hit of loosing £11k's worth of car, but not 2k's worth. Alternativly maybe it's because they don't fancy killing themselves or someone else? or maybe it's because they are remotely responsible?

I think my point is what is the point of buying a fastish car when you drive like a tart. The GT may be slower in certain aspects but at least the people that drive them do so with a large amount of commitment.

Rant Over =D>
    You mean you're one of these people who's willing to risk people's lives in order to overtake another car ? ? Ever considered a Passat Tdi ?

CTR_Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Dêbô
    The EP3's VTEC bark is actually louder than any other models? The reason it doesn't kick in as harshly is because the new i-VTEC engines have more torque pre-VTEC, and therefore isn't as harsh, although it's definately noticeable. i-VTEC has variable cam timing (hence the 'i' which stands for 'intelligent'), this is why there's more torque all round, and a smoother power curve.

Coincidentally, the DC2 is regarded as the best handling FWD car of all time.
    Indeed Matt, the DC2 I drove was great (it was a pukka JDM one, so 10 more ponies than the UK one). Can't wait to get my JDM LSD fitted

Punto know it all
    Still think I'd have a ITR over a CTR.

How many ITR's do you see, and when you see both cars and their respective drivers what do you think of them - regardless of whether you care what people think?

I see an ITR and it's driver and think "he's bought a real tool there, excellent choice, rare and good looking". I see a CTR and it's driver and, well....

I saw an ITR for £7,500 yesterday, FHSH, 50k miles, serviced every 5k. White with the red interior and very briefly considered that I'd have one as an everyday car over a fun weekend car like a caterham (as opposed to having a ****ter for a daily car and caterham for the weekends). Just "something" about them - if we forget how good on a track a CTR or ITR is, and how fas they are here or there.

How long are you planning on keeping the CTR Paul, because you seem to be doing a lot of things to limit its future market and price. If you'd wanted a car that handled exceptionally, why not buy a car than handled in the first place - you had £10k plus to spend (excuse my crass assumption if you will!).

Just me then

CTR_Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by jimma
    How many ITR's do you see, and when you see both cars and their respective drivers what do you think of them - regardless of whether you care what people think?
    I pass two DC2 Teg's on my way to work I pass one CTR, and one FFRS. lol. I'm sure this a pretty rare case though, DC2's aren't common.

I see an ITR and it's driver and think "he's bought a real tool there, excellent choice, rare and good looking". I see a CTR and it's driver and, well....
    Common? lol ? There seems to be this aurora around DC2's and most of it seems to come from people who've never driven one. It's exactly this sort of car that started the whole "Type R's have no torque" thing, because it is true in the case of a DC2. They do handling amazingly well, but I think people go OTT about it, it's not a huge difference that people will have you believe.

I saw an ITR for £7,500 yesterday, FHSH, 50k miles, serviced every 5k. White with the red interior and very briefly considered that I'd have one as an everyday car over a fun weekend car like a caterham (as opposed to having a ****ter for a daily car and caterham for the weekends). Just "something" about them - if we forget how good on a track a CTR or ITR is, and how fas they are here or there.
    Depends how hardcore you like your thrills, ITR's are loud inside as standard, but you could use it day to day. A Caterham you couldn't really, once it rains you get wet.

How long are you planning on keeping the CTR Paul, because you seem to be doing a lot of things to limit its future market and price. If you'd wanted a car that handled exceptionally, why not buy a car than handled in the first place - you had £10k plus to spend (excuse my crass assumption if you will!).
    Yes it is getting extensivly modified, on the plus side many of the bits are simple bolt-on's, so should I decide to sell up I would just revert most of the changes back. The LSD I have is a geniune Honda part, so I'd just leave that in.

I did indeed have a budget of ~£15k (to include insurance though). The criteria was:
    - Less than 3 years old with a Warrenty
    - IRO 200bhp
    - Something that doesn't look silly in the office car park
    - Suitable for someone 6ft plus to drive
    - Suitable for day to day use

That meant a DC5 Integra was a no, as they were IRO £18k, plus it's in grp 20 insurance, isn't undersealed and getting parts can prove difficult.

I looked at and drove hoards of cars including: S3, Leon Cupra R, CTR, Focus RS, Clio 172 Cup, Astra Gsi, Alfa 156 GTA, Focus ST170, JDM DC2 Integra, MR2 Turbo, A4 1.8T, MGZS180 & Celica T-Sport etc etc. Thats why it took me a good few months to actually get round to buying a car.

Some of them blatently didn't meet my criteria, but for the sake of comparison I went and drove them (had to feel sorry for a bloke at the car supermarket where I drove 5 back to back then walked away ).

If I do decide to sell up, then only something very quick or very cheap will surfice. I keep considering an Evo7, but then I think, whats the point in spending so much more on a car which I won't go round corners much quicker in (due to fear of writing it off, even though an Evo easily could), and a stock GSR 7 is no quicker once rolling...I'd need an FQ300 to get something quicker after 60mph+. On top of all that an Evo would almost certainly be older too, plus they have reliability issues and silly service intervals.

So in reality, rather than dip into my house fund again, I'll keep probably keep the CTR.

Punto know it all

Thumbs up

Very interesting Paul, ta.

Scarily enough with the practicality, you're right. At the moment I couldn't justify the finance on a car, but I've yet to even go out in an ITR and must say I prefer the earlier looks of the DC2 anyway.

Sad but it does worry me that practicality will come first - but there. Truth is, if I had £15,000 to spend on a car, I genuinely don't know what I'd do (probably sort a mortgage out lol!).

melvin_y2k1
    well i think the punto gt is a great little car can keep your big 2.0 16v clio's 172 cup's and so on.punto 1.4 gt turbo has plenty of power by the sounds of it cheap tax lower insurance easy to mod and thats what its all about moding your own car going out and havng fun meeting new peeps so who cares if the other guy runing 200 bhp good luck to him i say.if you want real power and speed get your self a motobike my yamaha 1994 fzr600 foxeye could blow off civic type R's about the only thing that beat me was a tuned seat leon cupra R it was almost lowered to the floor i was gobb smacked when i seen it go by me.enyway il be happy with just 140 bhp out of me gt turbo and still enjoy a good blast out in the country lanes where i live

Punto know it all
    Is your other car a Delorean?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast