Thread: Opinions please.

Question Opinions please.

I am looking to buy a diesel estate.
    I do not know much about diesel engines other than they do more mpg and if well serviced will do a shed load of miles, oh yeah and they sound sh1te.

5K to spend.

Do I go for an older model with resonable mileage or a newer model that has been to the moon and back in 2/3 years?

I like the look of the VW passat and the Pug 406, it seems that you pay a premium for a german car, I guess this is because of build quality and reliability, is this just perceived or real? Audi and BMW's seem to be too expensive.

Any suggestions, thoughts advice.

TIA

Cheers Steve.

BlackBeast
    All depends on what your going to use the car for!?! Load lugger? Towing vehicle? have it in conjunction with a 2nd fun car?

Sounds like from your description you are going to have it as your only car!?!

Good options around your budget from the last time i looked at estates are:-

Audi A4, A6 1.9 TDi
    VW Passat 1.9 TDi exactly the same engines as the Audi
    Volvo V70 2.5 TDi

Personally wouldnt touch anything french but no doubt somebody after me will say get a Xantia, so i might aswell say it first

Punto Lover
    budget wise i.e a lot of car for little money vauxhall vectra sri diesel or omega 2.5 cdx (bmw engine and full leather and all the toys).
    passat diesels are very quick for a big derv car.
    and obviously theres the audi a4 avant (or much cheaper a6 if you dont mind a larger car, i prefer these personally).
    and the old bmw touring, you can get them for decent money if you look around (and without astronomical miles).

thinking of buying a diesel estate myself found a cdx omega local on an n plate with history and leather and all the bits for £1100 - any one want to buy a mark 2 golf gti?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    All depends on what your going to use the car for!?! Load lugger? Towing vehicle? have it in conjunction with a 2nd fun car?

Sounds like from your description you are going to have it as your only car!?!

Good options around your budget from the last time i looked at estates are:-

Audi A4, A6 1.9 TDi
    VW Passat 1.9 TDi exactly the same engines as the Audi
    Volvo V70 2.5 TDi

Personally wouldnt touch anything french but no doubt somebody after me will say get a Xantia, so i might aswell say it first
    Thanks, no it wont be towing anything around or carrying heavy stuff, I just want an economical, versatile car that I do not have to worry too much about.
    It will be a second/first car which ever way you want to look at it, so I can wrap the GT up in cotton wool and do some work on it.
    I looked at Volvos and Saab, hated the interiors so binned them, looks like it might be a Passat then.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by aGeNt-OrAnGe
    budget wise i.e a lot of car for little money vauxhall vectra sri diesel or omega 2.5 cdx (bmw engine and full leather and all the toys).
    passat diesels are very quick for a big derv car.
    and obviously theres the audi a4 avant (or much cheaper a6 if you dont mind a larger car, i prefer these personally).
    and the old bmw touring, you can get them for decent money if you look around (and without astronomical miles).

thinking of buying a diesel estate myself found a cdx omega local on an n plate with history and leather and all the bits for £1100 - any one want to buy a mark 2 golf gti?

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I had been warned off of Mondeos and Vectras.

What is the reasoning behind A6's being cheaper than A4's I would have thought it would be the other way around?

Cheers Steve.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by 16CSVT
    Thanks, I should have mentioned that I had been warned off of Mondeos and Vectras.

What is the reasoning behind A6's being cheaper than A4's I would have thought it would be the other way around?

Cheers Steve.
    nothing wrong with a vectra diesel mate, think its just badge snobbery tbh the sri diesel is rare and a decent performer by all accounts.
    think the a6 is just an image thing, its not as "trendy" and desirable as the a4 a bit more old manish if you like.

Punto know it all
    vauxhall Astra's seems to be ok, u can get a reasonable one for that sort of money.. 2.0 DTi? ive had one for a few days when my GT was in the garage and i must say they aint too bad. very economical too

Punto Lover
    yeah forgot the new shape astra diesels are around that bracket now too
    now that would make a nice workhorse

I must admit I never thought about the Astra, although I would prefer a larger car, I was warned off of the Mondeo because their diesels are not the best and I must admit the thought of owning a Vauxhall does not appeal a great deal, my mate had a 2.0ltr CDi, it was the worst car he ever owned, his words not mine, but I will look into it.

Thanks,

Steve.

Punto know it all
    look into 2lt DTi, thats the model i was driving, had over 146,000 miles on the clock but still impressed me, it felt very tidy and smooth