Thread: Memory RAM purge?

Question Memory RAM purge?

I don't know if I have used the right terminology, but if my computer has been on all day and I have been using various programs on and off I get an insufficent memory warning. I have 512mb ram.
    Is this the problem?
    Can I purge the RAM without rebooting the computer?
    If so how?

TIA

Cheers Steve.

Punto know it all
    what size is you're pagefile set to?

Red face

What is a pagefile? and where can I find it?

Punto know it all
    pagefile can be thought of as a physical file written too on your hard disk when the pc is low on memory.

for example if the pagefile is allowed to grow to a suitable size, it should be able to cope with more demanding situations.

as a general rule the pagefile is typically *1.5 of the current memory.

for example, a machine with 512RAM would have a minimum pagesfile size of 768mb (512*1.5=768). in turn a max size will be required for windows. typically double this to 1536mb.

now although your pagefile may hardly ever reach that big, windows will automatically make the file size to that of the largest it's set to (unless using xp/2000 - where it grows in accordance). so your pagefile will stay at 1536mb. therefore you need to take into account how much disk space you have, or if needs be move the pagefile onto a seconday drive. typically with servers this sometimes takes the load.

before windows2000 a min/max size had to be set, but now with 2000/xp windows is able to adjust your pagefile accordingly. that means it grows as you use it.

for safety the file is hidden typically in the route of C:\. it's called simply 'pagefile.sys' and will require the C: disk to have 'SYSTEM' - FULL CONTROL if you are using an NTFS disk format. but it's doubtfull you will need to worry about that unless you are moving pagefiles around physical disks.

firstly you say you have 512k memory? so, for windowsxp (similar in 2000)

right click 'my computer'
    select properties
    select 'advanced'
    select 'settings'
    select 'advanced'
    and then
    select 'change' at the bottom of the box.

i'm assuming you have 1 physical disk and 1 page file. therefore highlight the C: disk and enter a min size of 768 and max of 1536

click set, click ok accordingly
    reboot

hope this helps a little,

Phil

Thanks Phil, you have a PM.