Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISP monitoring downloads

Punto know it all

ISP monitoring downloads

To clear up the gossip i've heard around this place in past weeks, are ISP's now tracking MP3 downloads or not ?

Or really, does nobody know? I remember there is a member of BT whom posts on here. Can you say or does that put you're job on the line?

Punto know it all
    I work @ Virgin.net, i've not heard anything like this floating around, but i'll keep an ear out

Punto Enthusiast
    i would have thought that all downloads\viewed web pages etc are all recorded through the isp's.is there no law or guideline for isp's that would clear this up?

thks
    dan

Dup
    They can monitor all they like as theres nothing to say you don't own the original material and that you were unaware that you're downloading it is illegal as not everything with .mp3 or .iso on the end is a naughty file.

Anyway, they can't monitor everything, especially if you're using bit torrent and p2p programs which gather sources from all different networks etc.

Data protection act prevents pinpoining names and addresses anyway I would presume. They would only be allowed to do such monitoring for "market research" as otherwise they have no authority, unless theres new legislation allowing them to do so.

They don't some down on the people that download it. Its the people who offer the downloads or the software programs or just the people that download and then sell it on. Its like drugs, you get caught using it you're ****ed but if it stays inside your own home you're at little risk.

armoredfist2002
    If they were tracking them and it came to anything, just tell them you store them on the net just incase you lose them off your hard drive.
    And it's not illegal to make mp3's of the cd's you have so thay may not know where you had them from.

Would this not be something like breach of privacy,

Dup
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredfist2002
    Would this not be something like breach of privacy,
    Data protection act prevents them sharing out your details to 3rd parties. Weather the police fall into that category I don't know.

chris g
    I'm a manager in a BT Yahoo! callcentre, they are not monitoring downloads of any sort

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by chris g
    I'm a manager in a BT Yahoo! callcentre, they are not monitoring downloads of any sort
    they have pushed back their usage policy start date as well... why is that?

chris g
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill
    they have pushed back their usage policy start date as well... why is that?
    To be honest we've not been told why but I think it is because they are having problems implementing it and getting it to work. Same thing with the 150k broadband that they are going to start, they can't get it to work!!

Punto know it all
    well at the end of the day, it's good for their customers not to have to worry about the limits!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast