Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browser recommendations

Punto know it all
    think i might try this firefox thingy!

Punto know it all
    firefox is pretty good, I still seem to be going to IE, I'll have to download the lastest firefox I think though

CTR_Paul
    Firefox if you can put up with it's slow loading times.

I await hackers totally destroying it security wise once it's become the norm... anyone who thinks it'll be harder to hack is living in a dream world when the souce code is avaliable online.

Punto Lover
    Firefox is quick once you have the window open, and I NEVER use more than 1 window - I load every new site in tabs, less hassle and fewer memory resources.

I found this to decrease the initial startup time: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/

I have firefox its great, the only problem i had is that if you have msn messenger running and you click on the link to get email it will still open up IE even if you have FF set as default so you will have to sign in through hotmail itself.

Withnail
    Firefox isn't slow to load

Just to add to the thread, its the bollocks.

Punto Lover
    I've been through IE, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Neoplanet, and Netscape.

Netscape crashes, but when it doesn't it's smooth and fast, but has some security issues.

Neoplanet uses the same engine as IE, and therefore is fast and smooth, but subject to loads of security issues and possibility of getting spyware & other crap.

Opera is fast, quite secure, and smooth running. It's not that "pretty" though. But it does have a number of extra features which are similar to Mozilla Firefox.

Mozilla Firefox is fast, but sometimes hangs occasionally on lower spec systems. So far it's secure, and has a number of features which make it great to use, like pop up preventer, and remembering your favourite websites.

IE is fast and smooth, but is now so vulnerable to spyware/attack it's becoming virtually impossible to use unless you are using lots of other security sofware.

Punto Lover
    I can't recommend any browser except Opera. It simply is the best browser.

Fast, lightweight, and sooo many features. The one that really gives it the edge though is mouse gestures. My browsing speed has increased 10 fold thanks to this feature. Also, the built in mail client is excellent. You really should give it a try.

And it's been proven as the fastest browser in the world :-P
    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Some of Opera's features:
    http://www.opera.com/features/

Oh and someone mentions it doesn't look as pretty as others. Well you can get skins for it to make it look as pretty as you like :-P

Honorary Club Member spiritodipuntouk's Avatar
    Made the switch to Firefox a few months ago. The only snag I've found is problems with sites that need plugins

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritodipuntouk
    Made the switch to Firefox a few months ago. The only snag I've found is problems with sites that need plugins
    What kind of plugins? If you mean ActiveX then Firefox doesn't use them simply because they're a huge security flaw, although the sites I've come across that use them are dodgy anywho

Anyway, Firefox can use mouse gestures too, just need to install an extension for it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12