Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: building PC

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by shamster
    i havent tried that but I will when I get I think, pretty sure it will not be a problem but at least it will eliminate it

if I had no RAM would something come through on VGA?
    If you had no RAM, you'd get the 12, or however many it is, bleeps of death and very little else.

shamster
    if i start it with no RAM it makes no difference

strange

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by shamster
    if i start it with no RAM it makes no difference

strange
    Its definitely not your RAM that's at fault, dude. Is your CPU under warranty?

shamster
    i have only just bought it so yes

problem is aria say that if I return stuff and its not faulty they will send it back and charge me shipping so I want to make sure i know what is at fault

do u reckon its CPU?

Punto Lover
    Like I said all along, probably your CPU.

shamster
    chatted to a mate and he asked me whether i had put the memory in the correct bank

looked in my case and it was in the second bank!

will swap it over later and try and hopefully get going

thanks 4 you help people

richie.guy
    The memory slot you put the RAM in should make no difference at all, although running in certain slots does SOMETIMES improve performance, but not markedly.

As for the problem your having, unplug everything that is un necessary and just run the pc with the HDD, CPU, RAM and GFX card. See what happens. If it still has the problem try re-seating the CPU (with new thermal paste) and unplugging and re plugging the hdd/ATX/4pin connectors to make sure you have connected them properly.

The mobo is alive if its booting up, or even if its lighting up so it sounds like more of a fault with the CPU or the PSU (power supply unit). However, the pc should boot into the bios even if the CPU is faulty and display that there is a cpu problem. Read the instructions and it should have a troubleshooting section, in which the 'beeps' should be explained.

If not, try downloading the latest bios version for the HDD and flash the motherboard.

shamster
    ok it made no difference at all!!!

i took out the CPU completley and it was exactly the same boot!

does that mean its the CPU fried or the motherboard which didnt recognise it?

headache!!

richie.guy
    did you re apply thermal paste to it and seat the heatsink correctly?

Withnail
    Send the CPU back, its ****ed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast