Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 82K on a GT - Worth looking at?

Clio16v

82K on a GT - Worth looking at?

A nice looking black 1999 GT has come up forsale. The only prob is its done 82k. Do you think its worth looking at?

How do they handle high milliage?

I'll give it a ring in a mo and ask what new bits it has ect.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...ch_full=SEARCH

Dale
    Could be worth looking at mate. Remember that the turbo will last only about 100k if treated well so check the history of the car.

Also as soon as you hit over 100k I would start looking into a re-build of the engine just to keep it running sweet 8)

Punto know it all
    It's not the mileage, it's how the engine has been treated in it's life. As people keep saying, Greg always warmed his and cooled his properly and so his old car is now comfortably over the 100k mile mark.

I know the one you're on about as I looked last night. I am selling mine and wanted to check my price was not too dear. It's not.

You've been looking for bloody ages, why not just suck it and see? There is only so much information you'll glean from off here. Fact is you could spend £3800 on a 40k miler and it be a shitter, and yet spend £2000 on a 100k mile looked after car and it be perfect. You just don't know, unless you know a bit about the owner and how the engine has been looked after, this is why buying off psc is useful, as you can find out how the owner looks after it.

James.

Punto Enthusiast
    Mines a GT2 with 80k on the clock, had no probs yet and hopefully not 2many in the future :-)

Clio16v
    Fair point Jimma - Its just how will i know if its all alright? Just do the obvious checks and just make sure its performing right? Listen for taps ect?

Matt_GT3
    why not buy jimma's??

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Clio16v
    Fair point Jimma - Its just how will i know if its all alright? Just do the obvious checks and just make sure its performing right? Listen for taps ect?
    The usual checks:

plus watching for smoke on boost (best to take a friend to do this!), make sure he'll let you drive it before you go and look

most gt's are fairly tappetty anyway so taps are perhaps not such an issue.

check engine bay and boost gauge for standard boost and any signs it's run a bleed valve before

obviously V5 and vin number match up

do an hpi check before you go

bla bla bla

Main thing is to check the engine as much as you can, try, hard and unlikely as it is, to see how the guy's looked after it. Get him to start it from cold and drive it down the road, you'll soon get an idea for it.

Personally I'd still consider cars in the for sale section here, as you can read through the forum and understand whether and how the guy has looked after it. Although I would say that as my car is for sale!

Whereabouts is the car based? Perhaps get someone that knows what they're looking for to check it over with you.

James.
    Last edited by jimma; 26th January 2005 at 10:18.

If treated well the standard turbo will last a lot longer than 100k, mine has done that plus a hell of a lot more and is running totally fine, as is the rest of the car.

Clio16v
    Well i'm gunna give him a ring about the car in a bit and see what he can say about it.
    Last edited by Clio16v; 26th January 2005 at 10:34.

Clio16v
    Sounds like a good'un from what he said on the phone!

Its has a FSH, 'T' plate and he said its immaculate. Hes selling to it to buy a coupe 20v and even said to me on the phone he lets it heat up and cool down properly without me asking.

Its only got two mods aswel being a D/V and decat.

He said it runs mint too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast