Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little help please

Punto Enthusiast

A little help please

I am in a bit of quandry as to what car to buy next, I have narrowed it down and for no particular reason narrowed it down to three (Would love a coupe turbo but insurance is a no no) and for various reasons have narrowed it down to three.

Peugeot 106 gti ( Looks good, superb handling) not many about with sensible mileage on them

Saxo vts (Yes I know) (good performance, loads of them about, cheap as chips low milers aplenty, looks ok) boy racer reputation main bad point

Fiat bravo hgt (cheap, loads of good milers about, fairly quick, lots of home comforts and gadgets) fuel consumption, heard they break down quite often.

Need to commute fifty miles a day anr generally drive sensibly, but the road i drive to work on is like an rac rally stage and sometimes you cannot help yourself.

Opinions and thoughts please peeps.

BlackBeast
    Saxos are crap, worse build quality than our little fiats!

106 is a very good handling car, so the journalists say!

Bravo HGT, not my cup of tea, if u like the engine and cant afford insurance on a coupe turbo, what about the non turbo'd coupe?

Punto Lover
    If it's any help my sister's b/f has a Bravo HLX and broke down last week

I still like them though, but PLEASE don't get a Suxo

Punto Enthusiast
    what about

Honda civic Vti
    Golf Gti 1.8 20v turbo
    Seat Ibiza/leon 1.8 20v Turbo
    Golf Tdi GTi

Punto Enthusiast

yeah looked at them

Looked at all them, but the three i have listed i can get tfor around the 2500 im selling my mini cooper for, to be honest i would ratherspend a small amount on my motors and change every 6 to 12 months rather than splash out when i could pay the money of my mortgage.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisxr2
    Fiat bravo hgt (cheap, loads of good milers about, fairly quick, lots of home comforts and gadgets) fuel consumption, heard they break down quite often.
    If your looking for lots of comfort, and the ability to cruise at 120+ quietly, then it'll suit you.

But if your looking for balls-out acceleration, and fun, I wouldn't.

I owned an HGT before the PGT I have now, and by comparison with the older PGT it felt slower, and was far less fun to own than a PGT.

Also the HGT, because of the engine size, can be a bit thirsty too.

Reliability, there the same as any other Fiat, sometimes you can be lucky, and sometimes it'll break all the time.

Dale
    get a BMW 318 - 320

Punto know it all
    I know the VTS has a reputation because it's a saxo, but I wouldn't let it stop me getting one if it suited my needs. At the end of the day EVERY car has a reputation of some sort, and most cars have bad points.

The build quality isn't actually as bad as everyone thinks, I owned a 1.1 saxo a while back, and it stood up to a lot of abuse, and kept going. They use the same parts as Peugeot, so can't see how it can be worse.

For the price you pay, I'd have the VTS over the 106 GTi anyday, and I hink they are less common (round my way anyway, everyone has a 106!)

The phase2 has nicer wheels, and you can pick them up for a bargain!

Don't worry about what everyone else says about cars, it's you who'll be driving and owning it!

The Bravo HGT would be a bit more thirsty as stated, but they are quite nippy cars, but wouldn't handle as well as the vts/gti. Again, they are still Fiats, and even though they have a bad rep for reliability, it's how they have been treated.

Out of all the 3, I would have the VTS!

Withnail
    I have completely gone off 106s recently, due to my girlfriend's 106 which appears to be made out of cheese.

However, James took me out in his GTI, went particularly fast around one corner and I was sold. One of the best handling cars you can buy. If you've got the money for a decent, low mileage example and you can prepare yourself for a couple of annoying issues (of the idling variety), go for it. I'd have it over the other cars you've mentioned.

FLiPNFiLL
    I agree, not because Mark & James are gangsters, well yes, that, but also because the fact the 106 is also the best looking out of the 3 you mentioned, and also, I think, the best all rounder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast