Thread: Sky / Sky+ Receiver Box - satellite??

soche

Sky / Sky+ Receiver Box - satellite??

My uncle lives in Germany and his old sky receiver box has died and he wants me to get a replacement for him but it needs to be just the box, i.e. without contract (he already subscribes) and must be compatible with satellite dishes rather than digital TV through the analogue aerial signals. Apparently he cant get hol dof these in Germany so wants my ma to take one with her when she visits him next week.

Ive never had sky so dont know much about this and I dont fancy speaking to a big fat greasy guy called Derek who works in the electrical components section of our local Comet!

Is it possible to buy the box on its own and is there a freeview variation (satellite version though) and whats the difference with the new sky+ thing that is out now?

Comments kindly received

1999GT3
    Yes I should think that you can purchase the box without taking out a contract...but I cant think of where. It might be best to call Sky and ask them how/where to get one. However, you might have to give greasy Derek a call, although he looks like a tard he's actually a clever lad :-)

The Sky+ is basically a REALLY good recorder. You can pause and remind in realtime but this means you will be slightly behind live tv if this was the case. You can also record on to its hard drive i.e. movies, soaps etc. However, these cost £150. My friends who have it swear by it and cant go back to the original box.

Danny

Punto know it all
    & if ur brave u can take the hdd drive out & put a big 1 in that works fine

joey_turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by soche
    My uncle lives in Germany and his old sky receiver box has died and he wants me to get a replacement for him but it needs to be just the box, i.e. without contract (he already subscribes) and must be compatible with satellite dishes rather than digital TV through the analogue aerial signals. Apparently he cant get hol dof these in Germany so wants my ma to take one with her when she visits him next week.

Ive never had sky so dont know much about this and I dont fancy speaking to a big fat greasy guy called Derek who works in the electrical components section of our local Comet!

Is it possible to buy the box on its own and is there a freeview variation (satellite version though) and whats the difference with the new sky+ thing that is out now?

Comments kindly received
    Go to hackney market, if its still on. They'd probably be able to sort out a couple of years dodgy subscription aswell!

Sky wont sell you just a box, and if they do they will want full retail price which is hundreds.

If he only uses it for freeview then you can buy an old on digital box and that will work, however it he has sky then he will need a sky box, so ebays your best bet. Infact most sellers will ship to germany so he could do it himself.

Punto know it all
    Try ebay, there was a few on there last time I looked.

soche
    Currys do the sky+ box for £199 without contract. Derek was actually helpful