Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My PC is dead

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999GT3
    Im slightly confused, didnt you tell me earlier to reinstall windows and this could get me in with my files still saved? But now im being told re-installing windows should be the last resort?

Thanks again
    ps. knowing my brother mp3's wont be the only thing saved thats why i would die if i took it to a computer repair shop. We call him little Gary Glitter :-)
    OMG really?

Wasnt me that mentioned reinstalling windows would keep your files mate...

1999GT3
    Quote Originally Posted by Withnail
    OMG really?

Wasnt me that mentioned reinstalling windows would keep your files mate...
    Sorry dude, cant remember who it was and dnt have time to track back, ur cleared unless further evidence shows otherwise, thanks for your comments guys, ill let you know how it goes.

Cya :-)

1999GT3
    Carrying on where I left off yesterday I have some more information regarding the errors on my pc (dont know if this makes any difference at all).

Below is what loads up when the pc is first turned on!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Auto Detecting Pri Master - IDE Hard Disk
    Auto Detecting Pri Slave - Not Detected
    Auto Detecting Sec Master - ATAP1 CDROM
    Auto Detecting Sec Slave - ATAP1 CDROM

Then the next page opens:-

REALTEK BOOT AGENT

Then:-

Press Shift & F10 to configure

Then the next page loads with 5 options with a 30 sec countdown:-

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode Networking
    Safe Mode with command prompt
    Last Known good configuration
    Start windows normally

If I choose the first 3 options the computer shows me a page full of jargon, something like this:-

Multi (O)disk(O)RDISK(O)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DR IVERS

If I choose the last 2 options the screen loads up in black then there is the flash of a blue screen then the pc restarts itself.

As per yesterdays conversation to clear matters up should I (bearing in mind I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ANY INFORMATION ON MY PC)

1. Reinstall windows xp
    2. Slave my hard disk to another computer
    3. OR any other suggestions?

Thanks guys much appreciated. :-)

Danny

Withnail
    You should see that when its booting into safe mode, they will all scroll quickly down the screen, but it should eventually boot windows up. What happens after all that stuff has appeared? Dont forget, it will take longer to boot up safe mode than it does booting windows normally.

As for your last questions, I'd opt for number two. Copy across everything you want to keep onto your mate's pc, wack it onto a CD and then format and reinstall XP on your hd.

Punto Lover
    this happend to me a few months back, just outta the blue!

f***ed me right off! 'format, re-instal' - SORTED

but i didnt have much on the hard drive any wayz

in the end i put it down to a virus

1999GT3
    Quote Originally Posted by Withnail
    You should see that when its booting into safe mode, they will all scroll quickly down the screen, but it should eventually boot windows up. What happens after all that stuff has appeared? Dont forget, it will take longer to boot up safe mode than it does booting windows normally.

As for your last questions, I'd opt for number two. Copy across everything you want to keep onto your mate's pc, wack it onto a CD and then format and reinstall XP on your hd.
    After the forumla appears the pc restarts itself again and again. Cos im pc illiterate how would i detach the hard drive and hook it up to another pc?

Cos im pc illiterate how would i detach the hard drive and hook it up to another pc?
    Get someone who knows what they are doin mate

Withnail
    After the forumla appears the pc restarts itself again and again. Cos im pc illiterate how would i detach the hard drive and hook it up to another pc?
    Piece of cake:

Take it out of yours. On the back of the hard disk, there are some pins in this formation: ::::: There will most likely be a little plastic jumper covering two of them, ie: ::I:: On top of the drive, there should be a diagram explaining which pins should be covered for it to be primary, slave, or cable select. Pop the jumper on in the slave position.

Open up your mates pc. You have two options here, depending on what you see when you open it. There may be one IDE cable (the long, 'flat' grey cables) that will go from the motherboard, to the hard disk and then onto the CDRom drive. If this is the case, disconnect the IDE cable on the CDRom and connect it to your disk (along with the power, of course). If this isn't possible, or he doesnt want you to do this (he shouldn't mind, you aren't going to damage anything) make sure you bring along the IDE cable that was attached to your hard drive in your pc. Connect this to your hard drive and then onto his second IDE port on his motherboard (if it is free).

Obviously, the first option is the simplest and the one I'd go for. Dont forget to touch the inside of the case once you've got the side off to ground yourself.

Hope all that makes sense...?

Punto Lover
    How many sticks of RAM have you got mate? If more than one, you could try booting with just one stick. If that doesn't work try the others on their own.

I doubt your memory is the issue as you say it was working fine before but definately worth a try - one stick of RAM may have died and your motherboard is not liking it.

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by waj787
    How many sticks of RAM have you got mate? If more than one, you could try booting with just one stick. If that doesn't work try the others on their own.

I doubt your memory is the issue as you say it was working fine before but definately worth a try - one stick of RAM may have died and your motherboard is not liking it.
    Probably wouldn't get past the post screen if that was the case or it would at least just report the incorrect amount of RAM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast