Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My PC is dead

1999GT3

Unhappy My PC is dead

My pc is dead and I need help.

The pc will load up as usual but windows xp will not show. Instead it shows a black screen with a number of options i.e. safe mode, safe mode with prompt etc. There is also a timer running down from 30 secs for me to make my selection. However, I have tried all the options available to me and the computer just restarts and comes back to this menu.

I don't know what to do and I afraid I have some important information on the pc i.e. CV and pics which I do not want to lose.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Danny :-)

Withnail
    You havent just installed service pack 2 have you?

Punto know it all
    this problem is common when the pc wasn't shut down properly.

it's more than likely to be the quiest way around by re-installing windows. don't format it or you will loose your work. but a reinstall should solve it.

Withnail
    There must be a reason for it rebooting itself though, phil. Might be something reletively simple (although not being able to get into safe mode wont help things).

What happens after you choose safe mode, for example? Just it just reboot straight away or does it flash up a blue screen quickly?

Devon
    may of ran out of memory or conflicted on something and rebooted mine does this now and again when i've been thrashing it with downloads etc ;0)

also apparently (unsure if its true) but i heard xp will shut itself down/reboot every now and again if you dont do it manually

1999GT3
    Quote Originally Posted by Withnail
    There must be a reason for it rebooting itself though, phil. Might be something reletively simple (although not being able to get into safe mode wont help things).

What happens after you choose safe mode, for example? Just it just reboot straight away or does it flash up a blue screen quickly?
    Sometimes a blue screen will flash very very quickly, cant make out what it says. I dont know how i could reinstall windows without being able to command the pc to do so...i put the windows cd in but it wouldnt accept it automatically.
    Why the fek did this happen and what can I do guys, ps i have not installed service pack 2.

Thanks for all your replys.
    Danny

Dude, i would use a boot disk to get in and then run a virus check. Cant really say much more without being in kicking distance of it

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999GT3
    Sometimes a blue screen will flash very very quickly, cant make out what it says. I dont know how i could reinstall windows without being able to command the pc to do so...i put the windows cd in but it wouldnt accept it automatically.
    Why the fek did this happen and what can I do guys, ps i have not installed service pack 2.

Thanks for all your replys.
    Danny
    A blue screen could indicate a driver issue. What was the last thing you did before you started having these problems? Did you install any hardware/software?

On the subject of reinstalling windows, you need to set your boot sequence in the bios to boot from the CD-Rom device first.

1999GT3
    Quote Originally Posted by Withnail
    A blue screen could indicate a driver issue. What was the last thing you did before you started having these problems? Did you install any hardware/software?

On the subject of reinstalling windows, you need to set your boot sequence in the bios to boot from the CD-Rom device first.
    Thank you I will try this tonight. The first thing the comp states is driver not installed or something not recognised ive forgotton. The last thing that happened was that I was shutting down the pc but pressed restart by accident and couldnt be arsed waiting for the pc to load up again before shut down so i just pressed the button to turn the comp off (this has been done before with no probs!)

Also my brother was downloading music etc from Kazaa, thats why I was thinking virus or something.

Thanks for the above comments.

1999GT3
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS
    Dude, i would use a boot disk to get in and then run a virus check. Cant really say much more without being in kicking distance of it
    Kas, gonna try all of what you guys have said and hopefully get in her, once in im gonna do a spyware and virus check and kazaa is being uninstalled.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast