Thread: Printer Help PLEASE

Fee

Unhappy Printer Help PLEASE

Ok....firstly...I bloody hate computers

Just got a new printer...canon one....and you're meant to just put in the cd and it all pretty much installs itself....never seems to work with me for some reason....

so, the driver on the cd wont install, and I've tried downloading it from the canon site, but its zipped, and I dont really get the whole 'zipped' thing :neutral:

If I search for new hardware through the control panel it finds the printer...but just says driver not installed...when I search for the driver it asks for the cd....and the cd wont install it.....

could anyone explain to me (really basically!!!!!) what I need to do, or can try to do, to get the damn thing to work

thanks

Honorary Club Member spiritodipuntouk's Avatar
    What version of Windows are you running?

In XP, if you open up Windows Explorer (right click on the start button - then select explore) and find your zipped up driver file you should be able to right click it and select Extract All.

In the Control Panel, when you search for the driver you should be able to choose to browse to the location where you extracted it to and select it

Fee
    Nope...that doesnt seem to work either....just asks for the manufacturer's cd....this is driving me insane

stern
    when is XP is searching for drivers instead of letting it search tell it you will specify a location and click browse go to the CD and look for a folder called drivers or 2000/XP then click ok it should look for drivers in that folder.

If that doesn't work your last resort is the drivers you downloaded from the web you need to extract the files inside the zip archive to a folder such as your desktop or my documents etc and then tell xp where the drivers are (similar to above) and let it install them that way

Fee
    Nope...doesnt seem to want to work either....comes up saying

An error occurred during the installation of the device.
    The specified path is invalid.

you need to extract the files inside the zip archive to a folder such as your desktop
    how do I do that?

done that now too....same thing happens!!!
    Last edited by Fee; 2nd October 2004 at 20:26.

stern
    if you havn't got winzip go get it from www.winzip.com

you can also use winrar which I prefer you can get it from http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar340.exe

once installed double click on the zip file and it will give you a list of files that are inside the zip file

click on extract at the top of the window and choose a location and hit ok the driver files should now be there. They may even have installers in which case you just need to click on the setup.exe file

Or you could just tell me where you downloaded it from and I can extract the files for you and send them to you

stern
    bah to you and your rapid editing

Have you had a look on the CD yet?

go to my computer and right click your cd drive and choose explore

now have a look for any kind of setup file and see if you can run it

Fee
    I managed to extract them and save them on the desktop...but it just comes up with the same message....an error has occurred...blah blah blah

I feel like throwing the damn thing out the window now

stern
    Quote Originally Posted by Fee
    I managed to extract them and save them on the desktop...but it just comes up with the same message....an error has occurred...blah blah blah

I feel like throwing the damn thing out the window now
    Sounds like a problem with XP not sure what to suggest

try putting the error message into google with your printer name. that usually brings up few results

Fee
    thanks....I'll give it a go....if not, its definitely going out the window!