Thread: Annoying problem.....

joey_turbo

Annoying problem.....

....my monitor stopped working a couple of days ago. I thought thats ok, i've had it ages, so i used my spare. Didn't work either. When i plugged both these monitors in to a spare pc, they worked fine. I thought it may have been my graphics card, so i used a spare, didn't work.
    Anyway, I've found out what the problem is. I had broadband installed recently, and i'm using it via USB. My graphics card/monitor, doesn't like this being plugged in, or any other USB equipment, when i start up. Which is a bugger, cos I've got at least 4 USB's plugged in most time, at the back of my pc.

Anyone know why i'm getting this?

I'm using windows98.

thanks

is it windows 98SE?

i've seen this kinda problem before with USB causing pc's not to work right. usually caused by the hardware, i.e. ur motherboard if they are onboard ports.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

joey_turbo
    yeah its SE. I've got 8 onboard usb ports.
    do you know how to get round this?

could be new board time?

wot u got plugged in?

has this only happened since the BB modem?

if so, try a new modem.

joey_turbo
    Its a brand new board. I built the PC recently. I have the printer permanently plugged in, but not on, so that doesn't effect it.
    I have the modem plugged in, and permanently on.
    also got a bluetooth usb dongle.
    I've only noticed it since the bb modem, but before that, i wasn't using any other usb stuff, so it may have been like that before.
    I'vr got round it by disconnecting the usb from the back of the modem, with the printer power off, and no other usbs running, then turn the monitor on, and put the modem back in.
    My m/b has got built in ethernet, but it doesn't work just plugging it in. Do i need to install drivers for that?
    thanks for your help.

make sure ethernet is enabled in the bios, and yes u will need to install the drivers.

try getting a ethernet BB modem and using that for ur BB, less usb devices and its more reliable.