Thread: Looking at a gt tomorrow

Punto Enthusiast

Looking at a gt tomorrow

Hi all, as above, what points should i look out for? I own a sporting at the moment so i have a fair idea how it should run, so i guess i just need info on what to look out for on the turbo.

Also the car has been lowered, anything to be wary of? The guy doesn't know how much its been lowered as he bought it like that.

lastly, how much difference to the insurance would lowering it, alloys and a s/s exhaust make? Me thinks 250?

Cheers

banzai
    Watch out for black smoke coming outta the exhaust when u accelerate hard = fecked turbo!

Thats one thing i've been told to look for when looking at any turbo car!

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by banzai
    Watch out for black smoke coming outta the exhaust when u accelerate hard = fecked turbo!

Thats one thing i've been told to look for when looking at any turbo car!
    rubbish.

check for any grey / blue smoke on start up, don't confuse grey with CONDENSATION or any smoke on boost. black is overfuelling, which is not a big problem. if you see smoke on lift off after being on boost ie blue that is an indication of valve stem seals being ****ed. make sure the engine is cold when you get there, to see if there is any hesistation in starting

check to see if its smooth to come on boost, and funny noises on boost.

check that oil pressure far right guage goes to 3 quickly when you're driving, and if it fitted with a bleed valve, you will be able to recognise this as a brass type device close to the plastic fuse cover central, and to the rear of the engine bay, have a look at the boost on the standard guage, if its close or in the red on a standard engine, and has been like this for a while, walk away.

check condition of panels, and gaps and also overspray in door shuts etc indicating it has been sprayed, possibly in an accident. check the rad isn't ****ed.

GT
    well, basically, check the owner... and ask him what car he will buy now...u will understand few things from that...

Punto Enthusiast
    i'd say look for white smoke not black. White smoke is sure sign your turbo is in its way out.

Ask him if he lets it warm up before booting it and cool down after use. If he does this then it suggests he's looking after it. Ask if it has a bleed and if it has make sure its running an aftermarket Bost gauge, ask him what boost it is running. If no bleed then its running standar Peirburg Valve

Start it up and drive it gently off boost for around 10 mins to warm the car up. as u turn the key the oil pressure should go up to the top. after 10 mins it should fall to 3/4 mark ON IDLE and should rise again when u press the accellerator. Boost should come in around 3000 revs.

As u drive a sporting u'l be aware of knocks and rattles and Trailling arms and the like.

Hope this helps

Punto Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the comments people, helps alot! been looking for a gt for ages, finally found one the right mileage, age etc i don't want to rush in and buy a crapper!

let you know how it goes.

nakajima
    a friend not so long ago bought an S13 nissan, modded well and looked stunning. engine seemed fine and nothing bad to report.

2 weeks later the bottom end went and the engine fooked. turns out the engine may as well of been glued together, lots of different parts that shouldnt have been there, even the T28hybrid turned out to be a mish mash of shiz and not a proper Garret.

allways handy getting the RAC man round, ask for someone who knows moddified cars, as i was, you may be suprised what they know. get then to do a full check over. its worth it if you dont have mates who are machanics

Punto Lover
    Look :
    -- smoke
    -- noises
    -- gearbox problems
    -- carry a person that have a GT
    Thats all
    Good Luck