Thread: I want to change my PC

demonfish

I want to change my PC

m\board Spec as follows...

AMD XP 1600 processor
    DDR 266 DIMM PC2100 (512Mb)
    Gigabyte 7DX DDR m\board

I have lost touch with PC building - is this memory going to work on a modern motherboard? i want to spend as little as possible, or is it just worth me selling the PC complete, and buying a complete new base unit...

i need a new graphics card anyway as the fan is dying a death.

so do i change the motherboard and processor? mb, proc and memory? or the whole lot....

soche
    prices are fluctuating at the moment so keep your eyes peeled for a bargain.

I built my XP2500 system in April and the parts are about the same price now. At the time 512MB DDR400 PC3200 ram was £46 then it went up to £70 and a similar thing is happening now.

P4 and Athlon 64 both require expensive mobos £50+

Athlon XP can be run off cheap mobos (eg. PC Chips) which cost about £20 and have onboard sound and graphics too.

PC3200 RAM would be quicker but not sure if you'd really notice the difference. The main thing on yours has to to be the CPU. Maybe try some XP3000 or something?

If you can I'd wait out a month or two as prices are still where they were 6 months ago and with Athlon 64s getting more common they prices should be due a fall soon....