Thread: ADSL Modem

Punto Enthusiast

ADSL Modem

Please help me, i've just had bt broadband installed, but there's a problem with the modem they sent me. Apparantly there is a softwear issue with my computer so the only way for it to work is for me to buy another one.

Problem is is i haven't got a scoob when it comes to modems and stuff, so i really don't know what i should be looking for.

If anybody can find one suitable for me, and post a link that would be a great help, the one i've got is a thomson speed touch.

Cheers.

What operating system are you running, the speedtouch 330 came free with my pipex account, but I ditched it for a router to allow all the computers in the house to share the connection easier.

Most of the free modems are crap, and run from USB. Problem with running from USB is one port can only use so much power, so unless the modem has a standalone power supply it can run out of puff so to speak.

Punto Enthusiast
    Whats an operating system??? I haven't got a clue sorry. This came free with the package i got, but shuts my pc down when it's pluged in to the usb. Bt have said they'll pay for another one if i buy it.

Operating system is the thing you load programs within, such as windows 98, XP etc.

Sounds like a faulty modem to be honest, if its shutting your computer down its either a dodgy driver or a power failure.

Punto Enthusiast
    Using xp, they said on the tech helpline that there aware that it won't work with this pc and to buy another one. Would this be better to go for then?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...15578&rd=1

or this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...14380&rd=1

Withnail
    Most of the free modems are crap, and run from USB. Problem with running from USB is one port can only use so much power, so unless the modem has a standalone power supply it can run out of puff so to speak.
    Please elaborate on that. What do you mean by 'power'? A USB port will supply plenty of power to a USB broadband modem. I've been running a USB bb modem for about six months now and have noticed little difference to when I was using a cable modem connected via an ethernet card.

Nodz, could be one of many things - USB driver, modem driver, dodgy modem. Do you get a blue screen briefly before it shuts down?

Oh, and:

they said on the tech helpline that there aware that it won't work with this pc and to buy another one
    Is typical bullshit from a helpdesk that cant be bothered to diagnose your problem.

Punto Lover
    i would try uninstalling the drivers and any software that came with it and try reinstallin that before going and buying a new modem.

how comes it will not work with your pc whats so speacial about it surly it will work on any pc as long as it suppors the OS

Punto Enthusiast
    I tried uninstalling the softwear and re-instaling it, but it does the same.

Basically i can install all the softwear, but as soon as the modem is plugged in the pc shuts down or if i change a setting they told me to i get a warning about a fatal error and windows has been shut down to protect the computer.

I'm going to buy another one tomorrow and if that doesn't work i'm going to stick with my dial up, had no problems with this in 5 years.