Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A discussion about the future of the forum.

Punto know it all
    If you deleted off topic chat areas then the forum would fill up with crap.
    Other forums manage it.
    I would be happy to join and help out, and have been meaning to for ages, just wanna see what happens now before I do.

MookMobile
    i mean threads which go like this

Here's a pic of my new wheels

wow, love them wheels

mook, where'd you buy your garden fence from in pic 3

i got it from B&q

i work for b&q, they are ****

really, my dad works for MFI and says B&Q are alright

i bought a wardrobe from MFI once and it was ****

Ive got a dump valve and FMIC in my wardrobe at home

I live in a dustbin

GTF

mong

essentially i'd lop it off at the second post, the minute i saw it

CruiseGT
    Deleting more rigourously those posts which are off topic/personal within areas of the site which are supposed to be car related must be a good thing.

People can chat off-car-topic as much as they please, so long as its in the right place, i.e. not under 'GT Engine and Exhaust', its not rocket science.

You delete more strictly, then people will get bored with using the forum as a dumping ground for personal comments.

If you think deleting posts might ruin the spirit of the forum, drag and drop off topic posts into off topic areas.

Basically just needs better housekeeping. The more its kept on top of, the less people will abuse/ruin the forum.

If its too time consuming then you need more people looking after it.

MookMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by CruiseGT
    If its too time consuming then you need more people looking after it.
    being sorted

Time for a serious post from me now. Having read, and kept up to date with this topic over the past few hours, the same comments from the management team have popped up. In some cases this has been 'f**k off' - these comments should be disregarded, and it brings me to ask the question 'why are they left in charge when they can't even pass a sensible comment in a serious topic of conversation?'. Quite frankly, that warrents a 'f**k you' from me to you, and I'm sure I'm not the only non member who shares this opinion The other comments from some of the management team have been along the lines of 'we don't get time' or 'we have lost interest', which again, leads me to ask you another question 'why are you still part of the management team?'.

In summary (because I have already written one epic in the form of a PM this morning, and really can't be bothered to continue), the best thing that the management team can do is hang their gloves up and call it quits. Obviously I am not suggesting all the admin quit, just those who seem to moan, and don't really fulfill their role properly, or haven't got time etc. Let other people who are keen to make the club work get more actively involved. As it stands, the whole of the management team is 'non-technical' IMO, and are only really here to tidy up mine and Malcolms tiresome, yet sometimes hilarious arguments. With all due respect to those members who genuinely have tried to make this club work, I think that if a new management team was to be set up, then it should include people who are more technically minded and actually bring something to the forum in the form of technical knowledge to look after certain sections like the GT section, and someone who has great knowledge about Sportings to look after that section and someone to look after the ICE section etc... Doing it this way would break up general chit chat and serious, technical threads and would more than likely make the whole forum a much easier place to run, and a nicer place to be.

These are my thoughts anyway, and I'm just putting my flame proof suit on... brb
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Withnail
    i do think that's more easily said than done though. You'll never completely control where and what people post.

See my 'how many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb' thread in Daily Chat. It sums up forums as a whole perfectly.

I dont really think this is the issue, anyway. My point all along is that I'm not joining a club that is invisible. Improving the front end of this site so that it is as up to date and functional as the majority of other car clubs will be a perfect start.

I'm sorry, but it just does not seem like anyone bothers with the club when you visit the site. And that's a very poor starting point.

CruiseGT
    Mook,

Thats exactly what I'm saying, it needs more moderating the moment any one of the moderators see it!

Don't haaaavve to delete it (B&Q fencing topic might be useful to someone), just stick it in the appropriate place.

The clever bit is that the less time a nasty/personal post is readable the less time it gives everyone to read it and become antagonised by it and reply.

Nip em in the bud, thats the key, can't risk leaving certain individuals hours of time when the site isn't moderated to get into slagging/off topic matches.

I dunno, perfect world you'd have someone on it 24/7

Withnail
    Very well said, Debo.

Non-members like myself and James 'moan' for a reason. Rather than anything being done about it, we receive flak from what is a very tightly-knit admin clique - you complain about something, they all gang together and disregard what you have to say. What use is "**** off, then" and little childish digs in unrelated posts to anyone?

CruiseGT
    I think the admin 'f*ck off' to us lot giving them our opinions of how they perform as moderators etc isn't exactly professional but also probably expected/understandable, thats how most would react when criticised/cornered etc.

I think they know that the buck stops with them now and that they've got to do a few things.

Can we maybe continue this thread (or someone start another one) but begin to focus it more towards the general layout/structure/facilities of the site, thats another hot topic no doubt but probably dead useful for those who've got to do the fiddling about with the site?

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by CruiseGT
    I think the admin 'f*ck off' to us lot giving them our opinions of how they perform as moderators etc isn't exactly professional but also probably expected/understandable, thats how most would react when criticised/cornered etc.
    If that's the case, they shouldn't be mods.

I agree with a different thread about improving the site, although I spose that should be left for the 'new' management to decide.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast